Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
1996 Crownline 454 mag MPI running rough after a run!!! >

1996 Crownline 454 mag MPI running rough after a run!!!

Notices

1996 Crownline 454 mag MPI running rough after a run!!!

Old 08-28-2019, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1996 Crownline 454 mag MPI running rough after a run!!!

So I will try to add a link that will allow you to see how rich the boat runs on the trailer. Long story short I boat. Its 1996 Crownline with a 454 Mag. It had a leaking valve guide causing water to go into the engine. Took the heads off had them redone and put everything back together. Had it to the lake a few time and overall is running great. Last time out I decided to do a full throttle run. Its the first time I have done a full throttle run in this boat. She ran and ran fast 73 mph on gps. I pulled back on the throttle and cruised around 3200 rpm back to my slough and ran it again but decided to just pull it back into neutral and let it coast to idle. The engine stumbled around but remained running but barely. I could tell it was running rich. Put it back up on plane and ran for 45 seconds or so and back to neutral and it was back to normal. So tells me it was rich and loading up. The cruiser speed help burn off the excess fuel and all was fine.

Other then this the boat starts up cold and runs fine. Seem to run fine when warm but loads up after a full throttle run. It seems the engine is running to rich. In the video link I will provide notice the black smoke and stumbling in the beginning. Anyone have any advice on how to diagnose this problem. I want the engine to perform at its very best and could care less about top speed. At this point I dont know if i need to do a valve adjustment again (hydraulic), leaky injectors, something with the VST or some parameter that the computer doesn't like.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Https://imgur.com/a/dC3780g
Old 08-28-2019, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

What model boat?
Old 08-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

many threads with the VST have known issues, whats the fuel pressure at idle and wot ?.......fuel regulator, injectors,