Vortech on 454's? >

Vortech on 454's?

Notices

Vortech on 454's?

Old 09-18-2019, 06:17 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

[QUOTE=pappyssrt;4707006]How do I know if I have cast or forged internals? I can't seem to find the year when they made the switch[/Q
There should be a number on the block in front of the right cylinder head, there might be a tag on the right rear corner, some kind of number that you can search. If you're going to rebuild anyway, tear one down. It's not going to be cheap no matter what you do.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:54 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,361 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by pappyssrt View Post
How do I know if I have cast or forged internals? I can't seem to find the year when they made the switch
Year does not matter. Which engine you have does. There are several different Merc 454's. What does it EXACTLY say on the top of your engine???
Old 09-19-2019, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 428 Likes on 242 Posts

It depends on your disposable cash and how long you intend to keep it. If its a long term boat for you but can't throw that kind of money at it all at once, start gathering parts, and when you pull the trigger on freshening, take the budget you have in mind for the rebuilds and double it.
If its not a long term boat for you, the superchargers will add zero value to the resale, maybe even scare away some buyers
Old 09-19-2019, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resurrected View Post
It depends on your disposable cash and how long you intend to keep it. If its a long term boat for you but can't throw that kind of money at it all at once, start gathering parts, and when you pull the trigger on freshening, take the budget you have in mind for the rebuilds and double it.
If its not a long term boat for you, the superchargers will add zero value to the resale, maybe even scare away some buyers
Thank you for the info. After doing a little more thinking Im going to pass on the superchargers. This is my first boat and I already want something bigger so it doesn't make much sense of dumping crazy money into it at point.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 428 Likes on 242 Posts

You are way smarter than I was with my first boat
Actually and the next ones too!