Notices

Sending units

Old 10-20-2019, 11:41 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Sending units

Not sure of the year of the gauges and of course with the confusion of two Gaffrig companies I dont know which I have or which to call for assistance. I'd really like to just pick one up locally without having to call and wait/ pay for shipping on such a cheap part. So how do I get the correct sender for a Gaffrig water temp gauge? I only want one to eliminate an incorrect sender being a problem with a possible cooling issue I'm trying to resolve.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:12 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 913 Likes on 459 Posts

look around the outside edge of the gauges face...you would have to look under the rim of the gauge to see it...but the livorsi stuff will be labeled as such. or the older ones may even be labeled as autometer....should be able to narrow it down from there.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-21-2019, 09:08 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Even if I determine which gauge it is I still need to know what sender. Hoping to just pick one up locally. The issue I'm having is temperature extremes. When the engine is just warm I don't get a reading. When the engine is hot the gauge rapidly gets to 200. There's no in between. Trying to figure out if I possibly have the wrong senders. I don't really want to call the company and try to get them to tell me the specifics of the sender so I can get it locally. I also dont want to pay for a sender and for shipping and wait a week to just do a simple test on a cheap part. I have an ohm meter to test my current senders but not sure what reading I should get for these gauges to work. Figured buying what I know to be the correct sender would be easier than messing with an ohm meter at various temps. My guess is the gauges are from the 90's and since they are still good probably from the original Gaffrig when they were a known good product? I'll check the face later today.

Last edited by bck; 10-21-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

are there no numbers on the sender ?
Old 10-21-2019, 10:27 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

I will look at it closer in a couple hrs. If there are numbers it would tell me what I don't want to buy, not sure how many options that leaves.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

I’m dealing with the same thing, but Faria gauges.

I thought I found the right sender, but like you it takes forever to show on the gauge and then it races all the way to overheating. I am going to get a variable resistor and determine what resistance is the gauge is looking for at various temperatures, and then find a sender (which have published resistance to temperature curves) and hope that works. Major PITA
Old 10-21-2019, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

bc,
I would go down to the local parts store and buy a cheap mechanical gauge for $20 Run it out through the engine cover and have somebody watch it for you while you run the boat. That way you will eliminate the wiring and power source as a possible issue too.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Sounds like you have it hooked up to a temp “switch” instead of a temp sender.
In other words, the switch is normally open then closes at a predetermined temperature.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Post a pic of the gauge. I had a similar issue with one of my Gaffrig/Livorsi water temp gauges. It was a bad gauge.

Gaffrig Precision Instruments is now Livorsi
Gaffrig Performance is the current Gaffrig.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 4,234 Likes on 1,215 Posts

GSOT1/8

https://www.cpperformance.com/p-1307...si-gauges.aspx

that would be my guess. maybe you can find what the ohms are somewhere

Payupchump might be right thou. Maybe it`s a warning sender

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.