Oil Pan Choice >

Oil Pan Choice

Notices

Oil Pan Choice

Old 10-25-2019, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Choice

I've always used this forum to help me with my builds and find everyone's opinions extremely valuable. Just thought I'd say thanks. I'm kind've new to the offshore performance boating with my 342 and twin 496's. However I just bought another smaller boat that has a 502 that I'm going to have fun with building over the winter and stroke it to a 540. I've contacted Whipple to discuss reflashing the computer to try and reuse the factory EFI. My question is, when you guys stroke these engines, does anyone use the factory oil pan or do all of you upgrade to something else and if so, what would you recommend? Any opinions greatly appreciated.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

i used cantons on my builds. more capacity and better oil control.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Never use the stock pan.
buy one with the most capacity and run 2 qts less oil to lower the oil level to cut windage.
I am running a 14 Qt pan but still put 14 Qts in it because the remote oil filter, lines and oil cooler brings the level down to a level I am happy with.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

contacted Whipple to discuss reflashing the computer
I would suggest asking articfriends or young performance to reflash, and even better let them tune while its on a dyno
Old 10-28-2019, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

If your going to run it hard you definately want a deeper high capacity pan with some features. I bought some fancy Canton versions that did NOT have good oil control on my dyno. The guy on their tech line admitted "others" having same problem. on other hand, some OSO members have bought the more std version of the Cantons that was a little less money and have no complaints. I put together a 550 or so hp 502 efi to sell my 272 Baja with, it previously had BIG hp. I left the -12 oil lines, used the billet block adapters/filter head, large offshore oil cooler etc in it BUT used a stock gen 6 merc oil pan with a nice aftermarket windage tray+ high volume oil pump. You would hold that boat at 5700/5800 rpms and after about 30 to 45 seconds or so you would see the oil pressure go from 65/70 to 45/50 lbs. IF you backed it back down to 3500 for a little bit then whacked it again it would be high a while then drop again. It was NOT a heat or lack of capacity problem, it was the oil foaming from poor control, boats ran hard sustained need good pans, FWIW, Smitty
Old 10-28-2019, 10:31 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Moroso let me know if I can help you. I have the exclusive with Moroso for Marine products that they custom make. ,
Old 10-30-2019, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
If your going to run it hard you definately want a deeper high capacity pan with some features. I bought some fancy Canton versions that did NOT have good oil control on my dyno. The guy on their tech line admitted "others" having same problem. on other hand, some OSO members have bought the more std version of the Cantons that was a little less money and have no complaints. I put together a 550 or so hp 502 efi to sell my 272 Baja with, it previously had BIG hp. I left the -12 oil lines, used the billet block adapters/filter head, large offshore oil cooler etc in it BUT used a stock gen 6 merc oil pan with a nice aftermarket windage tray+ high volume oil pump. You would hold that boat at 5700/5800 rpms and after about 30 to 45 seconds or so you would see the oil pressure go from 65/70 to 45/50 lbs. IF you backed it back down to 3500 for a little bit then whacked it again it would be high a while then drop again. It was NOT a heat or lack of capacity problem, it was the oil foaming from poor control, boats ran hard sustained need good pans, FWIW, Smitty

looks like this is another one hit wonder, ask for advice, get advice, never comes back so I may be talking to myself here but I had the same issue with oil pressure, drove me insane trying to figure it out .. but yes it was a shallow pan/Foaming issue. the deeper the pan the better.. now I just say screw the wet sump internal engine oil pumps...

convert oil pan for full windage tray and run external oil pump .