What's going on inside my motor(pics) >

What's going on inside my motor(pics)

Notices

What's going on inside my motor(pics)

Old 11-24-2019, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's going on inside my motor(pics)

So after deciding to pull my heads and have them gone through again for various reasons which I don't think are applicable...I got a few surprises when I pulled it down to the short block...I will express my concerns with the pics so it's less confusing...

I found this on the baskside of the intake valve on one cylinder...this engine has not been run in well over a month and you can see the lower section of the intake runner is wet and there is a milky/oily/gassy substance puddled on the back of the intake valve...Little more info on this....right above this valve is where my valve cover breather whole is that runs up to a catch can which was full of what seemed to be the same milky substance....is it possible that it leaked back on top of the valve and ran down through the seat and landed on top of the closed valve? I have a pic of what it looked like under the valve cover and which cylinder it was.....

Next picture will show the other bank which other than being on the rich side looked ok except for one cylinder which I have pointed out...All of the carbon in this cylinder was light brown...very different than the other 3....kind of confused me if someone has an idea??

So the facts of this motor are as follows....

460 Cu/in
8.2:1 CR
Dart Iron eagle heads
Comp roller cam
8-71 blower at 4-5 lbs boost

This motor has literally 7-8 hours actual run time...If you've seen any of my other threads you will know this build has been a nightmare and thankfully I thought I was on the home stretch of this after getting the heads done one more time....however I opened it up and found this...I think it's pretty apparent it was running rich however that seems like very excessive build up for that little amount of hours?? One other thing that concerned me was the 2 rear cylinders meaning one on each side both had noticeable oil mixed in with the carbon...all 6 other cylinders were dry yet those 2 had wet oily nastiness on top of the pistons. Also you can see how black the oil is...that oil has 3 hours of run time on it literally 3 hours...why would it be so black so fast? is that a byproduct of it being so rich??

Thanks for any help/advice
Old 11-24-2019, 06:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What are guide clearances? if too much and not great seals you will ingest oil, the retainers look small/off to me also I would look at that also.the port looks to be ingesting oil also to me, was gasket sealed right?
Old 11-24-2019, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It also looks like you have some heavy moisture in the head lower edge. That could be due to not getting the engine up to operating temp for not long enough. Also looks like some valve seal leaking. It might be worth tossing a new set of valve seals (checking for bits or anything that might tear them) and head gasket.

also might take a good look at the intake/head seal.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:58 AM
GPM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Betting you will find oil between intake gasket and head on at least the bottom half. Are you running a thermostat in this motor ?
Old 11-24-2019, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guide clearance is .002"

Fyi these heads were "gone through" with new valves springs guides the works...however it wouldn't be the first time the "builder" screwed me lol

I didn't notice any moisture when I pulled the intake gaskets however I wasn't really looking for it honestly.

The reason for this tear down was to get the heads completely gone through again by a very competent head builder this time

I don't run a thermostat in the engine however I do see 130-140 temps on the gauge when I'm running hard in boost...however my oil temps NEVER have gotten above 140 which is an issue that I am exploring and plan to fix once I find the issue.

Trying to separate everything to make it less confusing haha....lets see what else....I think I answered all the questions

I do have a question of my own...does this seem to all be head and/or tune related or should I be looking deeper into the bottom end?
Old 11-24-2019, 07:05 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

steam cleaning the top of that piston meaning water / moisture in there. Well that's what the pic kinds of looks like

Also resembles a lean hole. Pics sometimes are always hard to determine exactly

Last edited by BUP; 11-24-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I was thinking the steam cleaning route...however it still has a lot of build up in there its just brown and I would think steam would have cleaned it and left little or no build up...is it possible to have one lean hole like that on one bank with a roots blown setup? I would think that the whole bank would be lean if that was the case? Not disagreeing at all just asking
Old 11-25-2019, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have seen and get the milky color oil in my heads, ask my machine shop, he said your getting motors hot enough to push out the moisture.
i have thought about trying to make a vacum can to aid in sucking out the moisture...
like a vacum pan setup ,from back in the day on my drag car. ( or think of it like a PVC set up)
Old 11-26-2019, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not running a water Tstat is fine if you do not experience any milked oil, I do not run them, Teague did not run them in his old school blower engines. I do not have oil tstats either, mine rarely make it to 140 and I do not have a problem with condensation...not saying oil Tstats wouldnt be a better setup, I just have not taken the time to install them.