Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Speedmaster heads For BBC marine? >

Speedmaster heads For BBC marine?

Like Tree3Likes

Speedmaster heads For BBC marine?

Old 12-02-2019, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Speedmaster heads For BBC marine?

Anyone tried Speedmaster heads on a 502 based motor? Look to be American made. Looks like they have an application that would work, 119 with 320 runners, “0.62 raised exhaust ports.

Would be used in fresh water.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:23 PM
SB
Registered

Speedmaster was Pro-Comp...if you are into that sort of stuff.
gmhdfan likes this.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info was not aware. Have heard to stay away from pro-comp due to quality control.

Last edited by snowrunner; 12-02-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Unless you absolutely need aluminum, Engine Quests are a great cylinder head. I'd try that route.
mike tkach and Gimme Fuel like this.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:24 PM
Registered

I have two pair for sale at 50% of new if you want to give them a shot, run closed cooled for 10 hours never even went WOT. Mine came to me without spring locators on some “new” motors built by an unknown. Heads are ok I guess, I switched to EQ as mentioned above because I just don’t trust the speedmaster ones to stay together

Old 12-02-2019, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I saw yours on Facebook marketplace. Made me think about them, but had similar reservations about them. My machinist warned me about procomp.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Procomp had a bad reputation as being Chinese junk, but not anymore. They have really cleaned up their quality. I talked to Skip White performance about setting up a pair with inconal valves for marine use a few years ago. Full Force (Tim) had these heads on one of his engines a long time ago. I scoured the internet looking for the good, the bad and the ugly about these heads and only found that they were good heads if you bought them bare and put your own parts in them. I never found anyone who currently run them say bad things about them. A lot of people who trash them are giving out 2nd and 3rd hands info. Me personally Id go for the EQ heads. I got a deal on mine last year but I needed 2 pair
Old 12-02-2019, 04:34 PM
SB
Registered

Okay, I'll say some bad things without ever using them.

They have committed several acts of major fraud. How's that ?

Here's one:
Tue, 2006-08-08 20:00
MSD Ignition has obtained a Permanent Federal Injunction against Procomp Electronics, Inc.
and another:

DART MACHINERY, LTD. Case No. Plaintiff, Hon. v. COMPLAINT FOR PATENT INFRINGEMENT AND JURY PROCOMP ELECTRONICS, INC.and DEMAND PROCOMP MOTORSPORTS, INC. Defendants. _____________________________

Last edited by SB; 12-02-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB View Post
Okay, I'll say some bad things without ever using them.

They have committed several acts of major fraud. How's that ?

Here's one:

and another:
so your telling me they're pretty good stuff(except msd,since that crap fails for no good reason) because they made copies from quality castings.
I'll go sit in the corner now.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:16 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30 View Post
so your telling me they're pretty good stuff(except msd,since that crap fails for no good reason) because they made copies from quality castings.
I'll go sit in the corner now.
I heard you like the corner. :wink:

This was a long time ago.

MSD does suck. I used to support them when things where good. BTW: Their oil filled canisters coils where made in America by same place most got theirs....Andover Coils in Indiana. Gov't put that oil on the hit list, and with OE vehicles going coil on plug and etc, the canister coil biz was gone in the states. Enter China. Ugggh. Believe it or not, lots of people believe it is the MSD coils that end up taking out the boxes. Also, a trick to help keep the boxes more reliable, is to ground the coil right to the engine when used as a capacitive system. ie: with a capacitive box. Keeps from having ground go to and thru box to battery and then back.

If the coil is used as inductive set up, you can't ground it this way.

ProComp got into this world by committing lots of fraud. I'll never support them.

I went with the Crane Box's before they folded. If in need of a new one, I'd go Daytona Sensors.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser