Let there be light >

Let there be light

Notices

Let there be light

Old 12-19-2019, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let there be light

I purchased a 1997 Baja 273. Batteries are charged turned on gauge lights and they were Amber and very dull. What can I do?
Old 12-19-2019, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jojoegen
I purchased a 1997 Baja 273. Batteries are charged turned on gauge lights and they were Amber and very dull. What can I do?
Being a boat of that age, I would make sure the batteries are actually fully charged & there isn't a bad cell causing an issue. If that's good, check your connections to the gauge lights. Most likely they share a common ground. Weak grounds can do all kinds of strange things.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

Have you pulled the bulbs out? They may be amber glass. If so you can probably find clear bulbs to replace with.

Be advised,, bright gauges are bad for night vision. If you run on dark nights, you need all the night vision you can get.
Another fun fact, red light does not effect your night vision. Guess what color mine are.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:08 AM
Registered

I do understand about the amount of light for the night, but I should be able to see the numbers in the needles which are hard to read. I did not pull the bulbs but I assume That since ALL the gauges are very poorly lit there has to be something in common. I’ve had boats all my life and never had this problem unless it had a dimmer switch which it does not seem to have. That’s what it’s like. If you dim the lights in your car to where you can barely read them. I’m sure they’re not meant to be this Dim after all your car gauges are not dim.How do I test for a bad ground? I guess I could start there
Old 12-20-2019, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked voltage at the light socket? I also see sometimes people will put 24v bulbs in a 12v system and it will be dim.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:23 AM
Registered

I will try that first and go from there slowly but surely. If I can’t find it and I’m sure other people will. I also have no trim indicator or depth finder numbers on the gauge. Any further ideas?
Old 12-20-2019, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,049 Likes on 1,357 Posts

What position is the perko switch in ?
Old 12-20-2019, 08:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
To be honest with you I really don’t remember but they are new batteries. Maybe I should check to see if it could be a bad switch or corroded. Good idea. I will check it tomorrow
Old 12-20-2019, 08:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
To be honest with you I really don’t remember but they are new batteries. Maybe I should check to see if it could be a bad switch or corroded. Good idea. I will check it tomorrow
Old 12-20-2019, 10:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Does the engine turn over?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.