Best way to remove old fuel from tanks >

Best way to remove old fuel from tanks

Notices

Best way to remove old fuel from tanks

Old 03-20-2020, 01:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

LOLOL, I did this 6 months ago. There are a bunch of solutions to get it out and clean it.

Have fun getting rid of 50 gallons of spent fuel. You feel like a jerk pouring it on the ground. So, I put some in my wifes Mercedes - and it ran like chit. Then I put some in my work truck - and it ran like chit too. Dump the remainder on areas for weed control and you are afraid your entire city block will blow up. Fun times!
Old 03-20-2020, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 1,476 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
Siphon it out, get the siphon started by blowing a vac into the vent hole for a moment, works great.

Used that method before many times. Does work well... I might not have any junk etc in the tank however just want to go into it expecting the worst and get much out as possible. That would probably get the most out with forst air and a hose down the money shoot.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:38 PM
Registered

I just won't break in rebuilds like normal! WFO. Take it easy first couple tanks and only drop the hammer for short periods. Prolly not gonna play out like that but will try.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:42 PM
muc
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT use the tank pickup. It might have a screen and it's about 1" off the bottom of the tank. The really nasty stuff will still be there, because it settles to the bottom.

Remove the sending unit. Get about 4' of 3/8" soft copper tubing and use clear hose connected to it. That way you can see whats coming out. And with the bendable copper you can get to the lowest corner. I use a siphon because what comes out wrecks an electric fuel pump.

Agree that E85 will do a good job cleaning and is cheap.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by muc
DO NOT use the tank pickup. It might have a screen and it's about 1" off the bottom of the tank. The really nasty stuff will still be there, because it settles to the bottom.

Remove the sending unit. Get about 4' of 3/8" soft copper tubing and use clear hose connected to it. That way you can see whats coming out. And with the bendable copper you can get to the lowest corner. I use a siphon because what comes out wrecks an electric fuel pump.

Agree that E85 will do a good job cleaning and is cheap.
Agreed..good tips
Old 03-22-2020, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't a shop vac motor produce arcing (spark) when it's running ?
Just don't want you to blow yourself up. Fuel vapors + spark = BOOM , JUST SAYIN !
Old 03-22-2020, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 465 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by scarab insanity
Just don't want you to blow yourself up. Fuel vapors + spark = BOOM , JUST SAYIN !
Yes

That's why I said after fuel is removed, to use a power washer (water) and then it can be used
Old 03-22-2020, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by scarab insanity
Yes thats why you blow in thru the vent, if you read more closely
Old 03-22-2020, 12:35 PM
Registered

Whenever I've used forced air I've always used air compressor as a source that is not even near the boat and shop vac I use is on the other side of shop with nearly 60 ft off hose when in need. Echo leave blower work also with same size hose. If I used the same one I used to strap on my sons plastic scooter back in the day it would definitely blow the tanks out, Literally Lol... I ported and opened up the carb with some exhaust mods and that thing would send him down the driveway like a son*****h. Fun times.

tks for the help and yes there's numerous methods on removal and many good ones other than the fuel feed line as I mentioned as well I kinda figured the pick up would have some type of filter etc in the tank. I can't speak for all boats and years but anything non boat related I've ran into has some type of filter. All a little different size, shape, material.

I never woulda thought the pressure washer but not a bad idea in severe cases. Which I might have and will find out soon.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:04 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

I have used a cheap generic auto parts store Holley fuel pump to pump mine dry in the past. It’s not lightning fast but it works great.

Before starting, take the boat on the trailer for a rigorous trip up and down the driveway a few times to suspend any crud, IF you like.

Remember that fuel pumps like to push, not pull. Open the sender/valve access point on the top of the tank, and insert a piece of fuel line that is no longer than it needs to be to reach the bottom of the tank. Zip tie the fuel pump right there close to the opening.

I had mine set up with properly done electrical connections and about a 15 foot discharge line which went over the side of the boat and I could put into a 55 gallon drum. I had it hooked to a 12V jump box on the floor, and controlled the pump with a toggle switch that I mounted in a plastic box to keep everything shielded. If your jump box has an on/off switch, that will work too.

You might want to buy two pumps to have a spare on hand, and keep the receipt, so if the gummy fuel messes one up, you can take it back.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-22-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.