Supercharged starting hard

Old 03-25-2020, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will do
Old 03-26-2020, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,481 Likes on 802 Posts

Curious what ignition he has and if its locked or not. If not locked out what the initial is set at.

If you have a guy with basic knowledge do a quick once over I'm certain your issues will be solved or even yourself with advice given.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:34 PM
Registered

Cap has corrosion,plugs slight rust,idle of course is low,ya think!gonna have carb rebuilt due to bad gas prior to getting boat,Be safe and stay well Change fuel filter already. Do you think that’s enough reasons? I do but will find out. I will get back to you with the results. Thanks to everybody for all their concern and help.Be safe and stay well
Old 03-27-2020, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Curious what ignition he has and if its locked or not. If not locked out what the initial is set at.

If you have a guy with basic knowledge do a quick once over I'm certain your issues will be solved or even yourself with advice given.
Initial timings everything on a blower motor. I dont like to see locked timing on anything other than all out race stuff since most motors on my dyno arent as happy in the 3800 to 4800 range pumped full of timing BUT we often make and install a w a more aggressive timing limiter bushing for MSD distributors allowing us to set base timing at 20/22 and still have 32 or 34 total and it tremendously helps weak idles.
The following users liked this post:
SB (07-23-2023)
Old 03-27-2020, 07:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

If the boat just came from Idaho, it's probably setup (tuned) to run at altitude.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

sounds lean at idle, or air bleeds clogged with crud. I would blow the idle circuit out with carb clean, reset idle mixture screws and idle speed setting. Id ditch the locked timing as well
Old 03-27-2020, 08:13 AM
Registered

OK my friends. I had a mechanic check the boat motor. He said it needs a cap, Rotor , Spark plugs, a carburetor rebuild kit due to old gas that has been sitting in the gas tank for two years which is now completely cleaned with a new fuel filter and new 90oct no ethanol fuel. New ignition module sensor, Timing is a little off, And a test run. His price was $1150. What do you guys think.? As far as price. Old fuel was starting to varnish. I think this price is way out of range but I don’t know so I’m asking.

Last edited by Jojoegen; 03-27-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jojoegen
OK my friends. I had a mechanic check the boat motor. He said it needs a cap, Rotor , Spark plugs, a carburetor rebuild kit due to old gas that has been sitting in the gas tank for two years which is now completely cleaned with a new fuel filter and new 90oct no ethanol fuel. New ignition module sensor, Timing is a little off, And a test run. His price was $1150. What do you guys think.? As far as price. Old fuel was starting to varnish. I think this price is way out of range but I don’t know so I’m asking.
None of that stuff is hard to do yourself. So, either learn to do it yourself, or write the check. Curious though, why are you running 90 octane fuel with a supercharged engine? What is the compression ratio, and how much boost do you run?
Old 03-27-2020, 08:54 AM
Registered

Actually, I do know how to Tune an engine,however I am now 73 years old, I never rebuilt the carburetor and the 90 octane is the only fuel available with no ethanol. I do not know the compression ratio and since I have only run the boat once I did not notice the boost however the mechanic that built the motor said that the boost was right on. So what do you think of the $1150 cost?
Old 03-27-2020, 09:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jojoegen
Actually, I do know how to Tune an engine,however I am now 73 years old, I never rebuilt the carburetor and the 90 octane is the only fuel available with no ethanol. I do not know the compression ratio and since I have only run the boat once I did not notice the boost however the mechanic that built the motor said that the boost was right on. So what do you think of the $1150 cost?
Price seems high, but I really dont know because I never paid marine mechanics, always did my own stuff.

I personally wouldnt run 90 octane, unless it was very low compression, and low boost. I see alot of guys that believe if the fuel is non-ethanol, they can get away with lower octane, but that is false. Octane is octane.

A long time ago, I was at the marina where i stored my boat. A marine mechanic was there , working on another boat. He came by as I was setting the timing on my engine with a timing light. He proceeded to tell me how he doesnt need a timing light, or use one anymore. He is so good, he just times them by "ear". Point being, there are good mechanics out there, and there are terrible mechanics out there who are parts changers at best. Once you find a good one, hang on to him. He might cost more up front, but it will save you in the long run. A parts changer will have you writing checks instead of boating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.