Oh Oh, is this a problem? >

Oh Oh, is this a problem?

Notices

Oh Oh, is this a problem?

Old 11-08-2002, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh Oh, is this a problem?

I'm running a 2000 454 MAG with EMI exhaust, K&N filter, reprogramed ECU. After dumping in some fresh gas and stabil for a last season dip I noticed that after I would idle a bit I'm getting either a small fuel or oil slick from out of the thru hull exhaust. (Captains Call) Not much of a gear head so I thought I'd ask the experts here! I put about 80 hours on the boat this summer but cannot ever recall seeing this before, but then maybe I never payed that much attention to the chit behind my boat! My fuel pressure show 39-40 at idle if this helps...

Any suggestions or ideas or do I have a two stroke wannabe?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or info!
Old 11-08-2002, 03:29 PM
Charter Member #38
Charter Member

You maybe running a little rich(typical at idle). You can check plugs and oil for excess fuel. You may notice your transom gets sooty too. Usually not a problem.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:35 PM
Allan4

One thing I can for sure say is your fuel pressure gauge is not right. Do you mean oil pressure??

I'm with hotbeek, rich idle. My motor does the same thing, infact sometimes I see clusters of carbon floating in the water. This is fine, much better than a lean condition.

Old 11-09-2002, 08:50 PM
Registered

hotbeek,
The transom was a little sooty. Normally I have very little accumulating during the summer months. I assume your suggesting to pull the plugs after a idle period? Will I be looking to see if they are overly wet or ??

Now Allan4, I may not be a gear head but I do know the diff between a oil and fuel pressue gauge! It's a Auto meter brand fuel pressure guage that is mounted on the engine. I'm almost positive that it was bouncing between 39-40 at idle but I'll check it again yet this weekend sometime and let you know for sure when I change the oil out. Where should I be at idle? I just assumed the fuel pressure stayed the same throughtout the RPM range.

Thanks for the encourgement so far!
Old 11-11-2002, 03:08 PM
Allan4

Mine runs at about 3-4 psi at idle. I would assume your autometer is using a two digit scale as opposed to a one digit scale like my grafrig guage. BTW, are you sure the slick os coming out of the exhaust? Either way, sounds to me like a no big deal thing, you want to be a little rich if given the option.

Old 11-11-2002, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to check the lower unit for any signs of water. The slick could be drive oil. Easy to check and way cheaper than not checking it.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That fuel pressure is correct for an EFI engine.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:17 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

ZP'D

E.F.I. fuel pressure is supposed to be 43 p.s.i. Yours is right.

Allan4

3-4 p.s.i. can't be right for fuel pressure, even if you are running a carb. Do you mean that your Gaffrig guage only has 1 digit, so you really have between 30-40 p.s.i.?
Old 11-11-2002, 06:44 PM
Allan4

Default Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Okay, I am sitting here wondering if I have my head up my a$$. What is the normal operating range for a BBC?

C454, yes, I have single digits on my Gaffrig. I'm having a brainfart here trying to think if that means abbreviated or is the actual numbers. I have always refered to it as and had it refered to as 3 or 4 or 5 psi....etc......I'm confused.

Zp'd, to answer an earlier question you had, the fuel pressure will rise with an increase in RPM. However, that is coming from a guy who doesn't seem to know how much pressure you should have.....I'm still sitting here scratching my head, about ready to get on the phone and see what the hell is going on

Old 11-11-2002, 07:04 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Allan4;

Mercruiser rates their fuel pressure regulators at 43 p.s.i. Your guage must mean 3-4 times 10. That would make sense.

Quick Reply: Oh Oh, is this a problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.