Engine balance - Cast vs forged >

Engine balance - Cast vs forged

Notices

Engine balance - Cast vs forged

Old 11-09-2002, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine balance - Cast vs forged

I read on a post a while back which said that flywheels and balancers used on BBC engines with forged parts are different (and not interchangeable) with flywheels and balancers on BBC engines with cast parts. I am currently running cast part long blocks with flywheels and balancers from forged part engines. I haven't noticed a problems, but have both engines out now and if I need to do something, now is the time. What do you guys think?

BT
Old 11-09-2002, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cast or Forged does not really matter. Weight of the pistons or crank is the key. If the weights are different then you should have the complete assembly reballanced to the new parts. It will live longer if balanced correctly.
Old 11-09-2002, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Gen 4 no difference, Gen 5 and Gen 6 BIG difference
Old 11-09-2002, 06:25 PM
Registered

When changing pistons the reciprocating assembly should be rebalanced, no matter what pistons you have purchased. Do I know of people that have not rebalanced after a piston swap? Sure. But quite a few of those engines had a noticeable vibration. Besides, the balancing expense is very minimal when compared to the amount of money that you'll spend on machine work on the rest of the engine at a qualified shop. Don't be a cheapskate.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:05 PM
Dennis Moore

You could always buy a book

BIG BLOCK CHEVY MARINE PERFORMANCE
call 626-675-3548 with credit card #

Dennis Moore

I hope I get away with this!

Old 11-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Registered

Thanks fellas. I have a gen IVs that have run about 50 hrs now so I'm hoping all will be ok. Doesn't sound like an overwhelming need to change what I now have. I am shooting to spin these at 5000-51000rpm in the spring.

I have your BBC marine book Dennis, and think I am beginning to know it by heart. I haven't seen anything that discusses this particular question though. Maybe I missed it somewhere??

BT
Old 11-10-2002, 08:27 AM
Registered

A quick plug for the book, eh Dennis? I think it'll pass the censors. By the way, KAAMA loaned me his copy while I was down with a total knee replacement last March-April. As you can imagine, I try to stay out of engine compartments now. Good to see you here. BT, what are the engines and how'd they run this year? If you ran them without any problems I sure wouldn't want to pull them down just to balance them. Just my opinion though.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:01 AM
Registered

Thanks Crazyhorse. Engines ran great this year. Have them pulled now for other reasons. Not really looking for things to do, but if necessary I will. The original engines were 365hp magnums, 1988. These are remanned engines now with what I assume to be cast parts. They were garaunteed sp? 330hp and have the ovals.

Found the page in your book Dennis (pg 27) talking about flywheels. The part I am missing is how could a mark IV engine balance out ok at the factory with cast or forged, and the gen V and VI could not? Was the balancing a middle of the road deal on the mark IV?
Old 11-10-2002, 10:12 AM
Registered

I'm sure Dennis can clarify this but it's my understanding that the crank counterweights on the GENV and VI are different due to the one-piece rear seal. The MkIV engines had a two-piece seal, and also had a counterweight on flywheel-end of the crank. Do you still have the 365 engines?
Old 11-10-2002, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BT I am not sure what you are talking about but the main differance between the IV and V or VI motor are the crank. One piece seal or 2 piece and the weight is changed. Like the book states the flywheels will not enter change and keep everthing balanced. Everything is balanced as a group or rotating assembly. Different weight pistons mean a new balance from old pistons. Same is true if rods or crank is changed. They are dealing with grams of weight so it does not take much of a change. I to would not want to tear them down just to rebalance.

Ever been around a BBC with the wrong fly wheel installed you know they are not right. I would not do it but I have seen - know of a BBC with a .030 over piston is one hole and nothing else done. Still running today.

Crazyhorse types faster! If you are tearing them down I would have them balanced since they are apart anyway.

Last edited by paradigm shift; 11-10-2002 at 10:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine balance - Cast vs forged

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.