Trim question/wiring >

Trim question/wiring

Trim question/wiring

Old 05-14-2020, 05:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim question/wiring

Hi there
I have a 29 Baja Outlaw from 2002. I have two seperate trim rocker swithes on the panel which work fine, up and down. I also have a single switch in the left throttle lever, that controls both trims left and right. But now when I use the common switch, it can lower both drives, but when going up, only port side goes up. I don't really understand how it's set up so the common switch can control both and still have separate switches. The common switch only has 3 wires, power and up and down. Any ideas? Or a wiring diagram, my manuals show something way older and I have no wiring diagram with the 3 switches that I have. I also have a single trim limit switch that I have shorted as the trim limit sensors on the drives gave problems.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2020, 06:05 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

You have a problem with the wire coming from the handle switch to the starboard dash switch
The following users liked this post:
liberator221 (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JaayTeee View Post
You have a problem with the wire coming from the handle switch to the starboard dash switch
Sounds logical in a way. But since the wire coming from the handle is a single wire for Up, I don't see how it can make the port side go up and not move the starboard. I had actually expected a switch that had at least 5 wires, but it has only 3.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't know how its wired but would guess there is another relay which the single switch toggles when it is moved.

Use a voltmeter and see if power is going from the center connection on the switch to either side when its moved. My guess is the switch in the handle is the issue. If power is switched when its moved, then need to trace the wires back
Old 05-14-2020, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First guess would be loose wire at one of dash switches. Look to see how they have jumper Ed power around on switches. Builders do some strange wiring.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The “up” wire coming from the handle switch should have 2 separate wires connected to it, there also will be diodes in line in these two wires, they will connect to the back side of each “up” switch.

the diodes prevent the movement of both drives when using the dash switches
Old 05-14-2020, 12:33 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Most likely a blue(up) wire on the starboard dash switch came unhooked.