Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   More air through carb = less power. What does this mean for jetting? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/366615-more-air-through-carb-%3D-less-power-what-does-mean-jetting.html)

AWOL 05-28-2020 06:18 PM

More air through carb = less power. What does this mean for jetting?

Under what conditions would having a less restrictive flame arrestor reduce power output? In this scenario, would this indicate that the carb jetting is already rich and allowing the engine/carb to breathe better is in effect drawing in more fuel and compounding the issue? Or is it that the jetting is already lean and allowing the carb to breath better, that it is just introducing more air and making it worse in the other direction?

As a second part, would it be best to have the least restriction possible (best airflow) and then jetting up or down based off of this new airflow?

Thanks

SB 05-28-2020 08:44 PM

It depends. How’s that for a great answer ? Lol.

Typically, if an engine is tuned well with no restriction from the flame arrestor, installing a restricted flame arrestor will cause the carb to run richer.

So, you guys with dirty flame arrestors - yes there are lots if you - take it off and clean it. Once a year is typically fine.

SB 05-28-2020 08:50 PM

Okay, retread your post.

Yes, if you are close to losing power due to too lean a/f and you install a less restrictive FA, this can causevyoubto lose some power.

Carburetors also depend on certain direction if airflow for the bleeds and boosters. It’s possible some FA’s mess this up. Many have seen this on dyno and racetrack with cars and air filters . Some scoops can screw this up too. :)

Unlimited jd 05-28-2020 09:15 PM

Worked on a boat (disaster) once, 509’s with 8-71 blowers. Had those tiny pie dish flame arresters barely the size of the carb flange, filled with belt dust etc, worn out distributors, timing all over the place.
put 4 new flame arresters on of proper size, 2 new msd distributors, plugs, wires and made the mistake of giving it back to the customer without putting an air/fuel meter on and running it myself. Boat ran awesome for 30 minutes :poopoo:

AWOL 05-28-2020 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4741196)
It depends. How’s that for a great answer ? Lol.

Typically, if an engine is tuned well with no restriction from the flame arrestor, installing a restricted flame arrestor will cause the carb to run richer.

Now what if the carb is jetted base on this particular restricted flame arrestor? They have been paired together on two different builds but never dyno tuned. Is there anything to be gained by opening the restriction (removing the majority of the mesh) and adding jet, or does that just put the balance back to where it started and no power to be gained?

Rookie 05-28-2020 09:41 PM

What flame arrestors are we comparing? A little more info might help. If you tell me you put a K&N on and lost power I'd say get rid of the K&N...

speicher lane 05-28-2020 10:03 PM

How are the Spark plugs reading?

Baja Rooster 05-28-2020 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4741197)

Carburetors also depend on certain direction if airflow for the bleeds and boosters. It’s possible some FA’s mess this up. Many have seen this on dyno and racetrack with cars and air filters . Some scoops can screw this up too. :)

This is very true. I’ve seen some engines lose power with no filter on top. A little bit of air tension helps straighten out the flow into the carb.

sutphen 30 05-29-2020 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by speicher lane (Post 4741206)
How are the Spark plugs reading?

it was a short story,the aluminum was abundant.:D

ThisIsLivin 05-29-2020 08:09 AM

Many FA's have sharp bends close to the air horn of the carb causing a lot of turbulence. I put a vacuum gauge on my engine and noticed that I was pulling vacuum running above 5500rpm with my factory FA. I found a velocity stack unit that was designed around optimal flow into the carb that uses a K&N 14"diameter x 4.625" tall marine approved filter. Yes, I had to re-jet the carb and no I don't pull a vacuum now. Fortunately the taller FA worked better for my boat. I have NACA ducts pulling in air and I opened up the hole in the hatch so the filter sits right inside where the fresh air is coming in.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...b07efda259.jpg