Temp hole plug

Notices

Temp hole plug

Old 05-31-2020, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Temp hole plug

Best way to temporarily plug platform holes in transom? I have a new platform being made, but this COVID s*** messed everything up and is delaying the process. So that being said, I have a trip planned to LOTO in a few weeks, that I dont want to cancel, and still want to run the boat too, before I haul it out there.

There are six holes total. 2 (bolts) are thru the transom and the other 4 (screws) are maybe halfway into transom. Obviously I dont want any water intrusion into the transom, but also not looking for something permanent, that is going to make clean up a nightmare, when I go to mount new platform and reseal. Is it best to just fill holes with a marine silicone? Or should I fill holes with silicone and install the screws and bolts? What do you guys suggest?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2020, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Put in the bolts and screws with 4200, just like you would if installing the platform. Might want to put some big washers on too where the platform material would be.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Agree, but this being just 1 trip could also do it with silicone
The following users liked this post:
underpsi68 (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Silicon or anything silicon based is going to interfere seriously with the materials you use later for a permanent fix , and that includes paints.
Use a neutral polysulfide based sealant if you have to with maybe tapered wood plugs. Yeah , it won't look too sporty but you already admit that this is temporary.

Last edited by madbouyz; 05-31-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:08 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 160 Likes on 93 Posts

I agree with bolts with washers and some type of sealant. Its temporary, so I'd use silicone for ease of removal.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Another option would be to drill the thru-transom holes oversized and fill them with epoxy. When time to re-install the platform, just drill regular sized holes thru the epoxy then use sealant to seal the bolts. This will protect the wood even if the sealant leaks. For the holes that don't completely penetrate the transom, maybe drill them all the way thru and use the same technique described above. Obviously if you cant access the holes from inside the bilge, this won't work.

This is what I did when installing external steering and worked well.

Old 05-31-2020, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Its temporary, so I'd use silicone for ease of removal.
Polysulfide based sealants come off easily , cleanly and residue free , completely unlike silicons .