Questions for those that running Holley Sniper

Notices

Questions for those that running Holley Sniper

Old 06-01-2020, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Questions for those that running Holley Sniper

I have been looking at the Sniper EFI 4150 Super Sniper 1250 for my engines. But not sure what all else i need/should upgrade to support it. I currently have -10 fuel lines so think i'm good there, but will need new fuel pumps so plan on either Aeromotive A1000's or Dominator 12-1200's along with the Dominator 12-848 fuel bypass regulator. For my ignition, i believe my Hawks just using a TB IV. Being a network/electronics geek it got me thinking about why use 20+ yr old technology mixed with my new ecu. So then went down the path of should i bite the bullet & replace all the TB stuff with Sniper Hyperspark distributor, Sniper Hyperspark CD ignition box, & a Sniper Hyperspark ignition coil. Is there much gain in letting the ecu control timing?

Has anyone else gone this route? I am really not sure how those Hyperspark components will hold up in marine environment. Or am i better off just sticking with the old TB stuff & spend the money elsewhere?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not yet run mine however I'm switching to the 2x4 setup on my blower motor. I went with all of the hyperspark stuff and the reason I did is because I wanted everything plug and play and if I have an issue I can rule out say the ignition not working with the efi. Plus on a blower motor the advantage of having timing control is obvious....better curve while in boost and can adjust every point of the curve if necessary. The hyperspark dist looks almost identical to a msd billet dist so other than the different sensor I think it should hold up just fine in a boat. Also the cd box and coil are IMO MUCH better quality than even a msd marine box. The coil is kinda big and clunky but looks to be a very well made piece. I also went with a holley 2 stage fuel pump and regulator so that can also be controlled by the ecu...I'm sure any pump will work but I liked the idea of sticking with the same brand on everything. 2 relay kits and the computer can now control each pump individually and say turn the second pump on when I get to X rpm or X boost...is it needed? probably not but I like the flexibility of being able to do it. That's all I can offer right now as like I said I haven't gotten my boat back together and on the water with the efi but I expect great results....Dan(icdedppl) is running holley efi on his cig however its all dominator stuff I believe instead of sniper stuff but it's all about the same really. He would be a good one to chime in if he sees this.

Good luck!! I say go for it!!
Old 06-01-2020, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would definitely get he hyperspark distributor. Being able to control your own timing curve is super easy with the Holley software and helps a lot, you won't ever even need to move the distributor again after getting it installed. And there its easier to install than the MSD option. Letting the sniper control timing at idle helps with a big cam too. You don't absolutely need the CD box and coil with it though so if you want to save money you can go without it and wire it with the coil driver the same as the dual sync would be. But it does make it nice and easy plug and play with the full system.
e i

Last edited by LakeHuronPower; 06-01-2020 at 10:23 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 06-01-2020, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

The Sniper has its own bypass regulator. I only have an hour or two on my set up but so far has been easy peezy.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster View Post
The Sniper has its own bypass regulator. I only have an hour or two on my set up but so far has been easy peezy.
Yeah but the manual says if using boost, then the internal regulator must be blocked off & an external one used. I have B&M 250's blowers so will need the external one.
Sounds like others have gone with the complete Hyperspark setup so think i will go that route too for hopefully peace of mind.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Can it read a knock sensor and pull timing?
Old 06-02-2020, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll View Post
Can it read a knock sensor and pull timing?
No I don't think knock sensor can be used with it, at least not easily. Holley HP efi and dominator efi you can. But the sniper is the simplest unit for easy EFI
Old 06-02-2020, 06:54 AM
SB
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BDiggity View Post
Yeah but the manual says if using boost, then the internal regulator must be blocked off & an external one used. I have B&M 250's blowers so will need the external one.
Sounds like others have gone with the complete Hyperspark setup so think i will go that route too for hopefully peace of mind.
If the injectors mounted on top of a blower why a boost referenced regulator ?

Usually boost referenced regulators are used for those app's like blow thru or MPI where the injectors are mounted in boosted atmosphere's.
The following users liked this post:
underpsi68 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SB View Post

Usually boost referenced regulators are used for those app's like blow thru or MPI where the injectors are mounted in boosted atmosphere's.
i really dont know, i am not mechanical. All this feedback has been good for me. I dont want to go & buy a bunch of stuff that doesnt need to be used.

This is what the pdf says, so i assumed since i had blowers, i would need to get a external:
FUEL SYSTEM CONNECTIONS
Connect fuel feed and return hose.
a. Non Boosted Applications, it is mandatory that the fuel outlet/return comes from the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel inlet must go to one of the three options for the inlet fitting on the 4150 Sniper EFI. The inlets and outlet are indicated in Fuel Fitting Overview below. The Sniper EFI System comes with a built in fuel pressure regulator, factory set at 58.5psi. We recommend at least a 3/8” feed line and 3/8” return line.
b. Boosted Applications, it is mandatory to use an external fuel pressure regulator and cap the Sniper EFI regulator port off. Holley 12-848 or 12-851 are the recommended bypass fuel pressure regulator based on how much HP the application makes. Reference figures below for plumbing diagrams and recommended fuel system components.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB View Post

Correct!