Over speed in neutral >

Over speed in neutral

Notices

Over speed in neutral

Old 06-07-2020, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over speed in neutral

Have twin 496 HOs with bravo 1 x drives , port side motor will not go over 3500 rpms . When hit 3500 alarm sounds and get code for over speed in neutral. Both switches seem to work correctly cause when boat is in gear neither engine will start till put back in neutral, I have pulled shifters out and switches were tight and did not see any loose wire so wasn't sure if there is another switch that make computer think it's in neutral and not allow it to run over 3500 rpm? Everything I have read says bravo 1's only have the 1 switch . Any help would be great thanks .
Old 06-08-2020, 05:05 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

There’s a switch on the shift plate where the 2 cables attach. That’s the shift position switch for the ecm. Has 2 purple wires connected to it
The following 2 users liked this post by Unlimited jd:
Griff (07-08-2020), SB (07-07-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 07:56 PM
Registered

Ok thank you I found it ,I ordered a new one should be here in a couple days and we'll see if that fixes the problem.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:56 PM
Registered

Replaced switch didn't fix the problem swapped ecm on motors and problem stayed with port side motor problem is intermittent wont do it every time and some times it will beep and hit rev limiter once or twice then go on past still trying to chase down the problem.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:37 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja 30
Replaced switch didn't fix the problem swapped ecm on motors and problem stayed with port side motor problem is intermittent wont do it every time and some times it will beep and hit rev limiter once or twice then go on past still trying to chase down the problem.
One of the wires that connect to the switch/sensor is probably shorting out.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:18 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it actually hitting rev limiter when this occurs? My 496 powered boats would start doing this when prop hub or couplers were going bad. Good luck!!!