Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fuel supply issue (mechanical pump / filter location) >

Fuel supply issue (mechanical pump / filter location)

Notices

Fuel supply issue (mechanical pump / filter location)

Old 06-29-2020, 08:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fuel supply issue (mechanical pump / filter location)

Hello all. I’ve been trying to sort out a fuel supply issue.

The boat is a naturally aspirated, BBC with a Baker 6 vane fuel pump. I have an Aeromotive bypass regulator and the pump puts out 15PSI. I have the regulator Set to bypass all but 6 PSI.

I’m using a FST fuel filter with -12 ORB ports. The fuel tank is in the belly of the boat and has a 1/2” fuel pick up tube (no sock) and a 3/8” NPT to -10 AN adapter. -10 AN line to the filter inlet and -10 line to the Baker pump. The output of the pump is -8 and it feeds both bowls with a -8 “T” on the rear bowl and feeding the bypass regulator.

The filter is roughly 6” above the top of the tank.

My issue is that as my fuel level in the tank drops, my fuel PSI becomes unstable. It has dropped to 3 PSI, leading me to idle the boat back to the dock. I thought maybe I had a ruptured diaphragm on the regulator and it was bypassing most of the fuel. I’ve disassembled it and it’s fine. I disassembled the Baker pump and it’s fine. I’ve removed the comp cams bronze tip pump pushrod and it shows perfect witness marks. I’ve checked all the lines for blockage and checked the pickup tube in the tank for a fault. All is well there.

I’m wondering if having the filter higher than the tank could be causing my issue. My thought is that, when full the pump has less vertical rise to siphon the fuel into the filter, and as the fuel level drops, I’m asking more of the pump on the vacuum side.

My other thought is that I should have the filter after the pump and before the carb. I called and talked to the rep at FST filters today and he says that the filter will flow in excess of 300 gallons an hour. It’s only 3 microns, but has a bunch of surface area. He thinks my issue is the location of the filter being 6” above the tank.

I’m wondering if I would be better off with the filter mounted on the front of the cylinder head, above the pump and near the carb feed. I would have a horizontal run from the tank to the pump, a 10” piece of -10 up to the filter and the -8 feeding the carb.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
Old 06-29-2020, 09:13 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

I’d bet small crack in fuel pick up or your return is foaming the fuel and at a certain level pick up is grabbing it.

I’ll look for holley’s vid of fuel foaming from returns. Will open every one’s eyes greatly.
The following users liked this post:
vintage chromoly (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

try bypassing the filter and see if the problem goes away.
The following users liked this post:
vintage chromoly (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SB
I’d bet small crack in fuel pick up or your return is foaming the fuel and at a certain level pick up is grabbing it.

I’ll look for holley’s vid of fuel foaming from returns. Will open every one’s eyes greatly.
the pickup has been checked. No cracks. I thought the same thing. I can remove the fuel
line fitting from the tank and put a few pounds of pressure on the vent tube, and watch the fuel rise in the pickup tube without any air leakage.
my return dumps into the fuel fill near the fuel fill at the top of the fuel fill hose.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mike tkach
try bypassing the filter and see if the problem goes away.
that’s tomorrow’s test.
I fed the filter from a 5 gallon gas can and all was well. The only variation with the gas can was that it was approximately 2 feet above the filter.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:51 PM
SB
Registered

Here is one from Fuel Lab:

The one I am trying to find shows more on return placement snd effects than this. But this is still good vid.
The following 2 users liked this post by SB:
abones (06-30-2020), vintage chromoly (06-30-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

Have you verified the fuel tank vent line isn't plugged?
Old 06-30-2020, 04:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Have you verified the fuel tank vent line isn't plugged?
yes
Old 06-30-2020, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The vent hose doesnt drop below the vent outlet
Old 06-30-2020, 07:24 AM
SB
Registered

At 3psi do you have a drivability issue ?
You had a drive ability issue and then noticed gauge or you just see gauge back down and thus you return to idle to play it safe ?

Is the fuel psi gauge in dash or engine mounted ? If engine mounted is it a liquid filled gauge or dry ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.