Throttle linkage / geometry

Notices

Throttle linkage / geometry

Old 07-11-2020, 09:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle linkage / geometry

Having an issue with throttle cable geometry. What are you Holley guys doing with your carbed engines & zero effort controls to get proper throw? I have mine set up like many Ive seen and if I set the cable & mount bracket for proper idle stop & cable length, I reach full throttle at 3/4 stick, ish. Ive tried different adaptors at the carb lever but no luck. There isnt any way to pin the cable at the throttle controls to be shorter. Only one position unless you want to reverse the throw for push instead of pull.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance. Trying to get this 1991 Formula 292 SR1 in the water after a 4 year overhaul.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

The following users liked this post:
oconnor marine (07-13-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 10:36 PM
SB
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 101 Posts

Without measuring now (late) i have the cableís throttle end out about 3/4 ď ? From carb linkage. Can use longer bolt with 2 nuts instead of 1. Head of bolt carb side of linkage. Nut on other side to tighten bolt to carbís linkage. Now you can install cable end. Use a locking nylon inserted nut turning in just enough so cable end is not bending in towards carb.

Hopefully described that well ?

edit in: iíll try to remember to take a pic tomorrow and post. No promises Iíll remember. Lol.

Last edited by SB; 07-11-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...+5dde8db1b6194
Old 07-12-2020, 03:41 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SB View Post
Without measuring now (late) i have the cableís throttle end out about 3/4 ď ? From carb linkage. Can use longer bolt with 2 nuts instead of 1. Head of bolt carb side of linkage. Nut on other side to tighten bolt to carbís linkage. Now you can install cable end. Use a locking nylon inserted nut turning in just enough so cable end is not bending in towards carb.

Hopefully described that well ?

edit in: iíll try to remember to take a pic tomorrow and post. No promises Iíll remember. Lol.
I don't think that's the problem he's worried about. I believe he's saying that the carb reaches wide open throttle when the sticks are at 3/4. Basically needs a longer arm on the throttle shaft I think. Not sure what the correct fix is. I wouldn't really want to use the extension posted above. I'd like the correct length lever.
The following users liked this post:
NautiB (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 01:12 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 160 Likes on 93 Posts

I've never had a boat that the carb or throttle body wasn't at full open before the throttles were all the way forward.
That being said, depending on what controls you have, there may be different places you can attach the cable ends to change the amount of throw
Old 07-13-2020, 06:52 AM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by bck View Post
I don't think that's the problem he's worried about. I believe he's saying that the carb reaches wide open throttle when the sticks are at 3/4. Basically needs a longer arm on the throttle shaft I think. Not sure what the correct fix is. I wouldn't really want to use the extension posted above. I'd like the correct length lever.
lol, thanks. Pic caught my eye before reading, saw the cable, and thecrest is history....lol

Iím with others. Check for other cable mounting holes on throttle levers. Closer to axis point will provide more lever movement to wide open throttle while further from axis point less movement.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:13 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've run into this and its not just a slight offset. The carb will stop the sticks from moving while there is still a couple inches of travel left even when the cable is attached at the furthest hole on the bracket. In my situation it's at least 1/4 if not 1/3 of the overall throw length. Not only does it not feel or look right when you're using it but from a reliability and breakage standpoint you have now made the throttle shaft the stop point but you can keep applying pressure to it with the stick. No doubt that's going to wear out the shafts/ seals. In my case I used 3 carbs- a Holley 4150, a Pro Systems 4150 and a Quick Fuel marine 4500. The 4500 had this problem.
NautiB (07-13-2020), SB (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 08:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

So I have the original Kiekhaefer controls. The cable is at the very end of the lever as it is. There does not seem to be any other option to attach the cable anyway, but yes, I am getting full throttle at the carbs when the sticks reach almost 3/4 of there travel. Not only will this create a potential future break point but also gives a quick throttle response which feels unnatural instead of more progressive feel. Do I need to look at other controls like Lavorsi? Id rather just keep the ones I have if I can make it work. I tried to lengthen the link at the throttle but all it did was change the mount position of the cable holder. The effect remained the same.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:32 AM
SB
Registered

Am I thinking wrong ? You need to mount cable higher up toward shifter pivot point, not lower ?

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser