Winter projects >

Winter projects

Notices

Winter projects

Old 08-18-2020, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Winter projects

So this winter I will be getting a new transom, installing K planes and new exhaust. I was curious if you guys recommend replacing the gimbal/transom assemblies since I will be tearing everything apart. Recently replaced gimbal rings and bellows last season but I would like to convert to HP style. So should I just buy the whole gimbal/transom assembly or just buy the HP gimbal ring and helmet? Also what else do you guys recommend replacing with a new transom? Thanks!
Old 08-18-2020, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Definitely do both while you already have it apart.
The following users liked this post:
Franks292 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

I think you have it covered for the most part. Planes and transom assemblies are about all there is. I'd focus efforts on rigging everything real nicely as it goes back together.
The following users liked this post:
Franks292 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 11:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
I think you have it covered for the most part. Planes and transom assemblies are about all there is. I'd focus efforts on rigging everything real nicely as it goes back together.
I will be taking my sweet time. Might even sit next season out to ensure I get everything done that I want to.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

Don’t know if you are putting wood back in the transom but make sure all the new cut outs are sealed well. Either fiberglass over them or use a penetrating epoxy.

regarding new transom assemblies, I wouldn’t mess around with taking your old ones apart and building them back up with new parts. It’s cheaper and faster to buy new ones altogether. Sell what you have to offset the cost and be done. You will be happier you did.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1MOSES1:
endeavor1 (08-20-2020), Franks292 (08-20-2020), sonicss42 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 01:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
Don’t know if you are putting wood back in the transom but make sure all the new cut outs are sealed well. Either fiberglass over them or use a penetrating epoxy.

regarding new transom assemblies, I wouldn’t mess around with taking your old ones apart and building them back up with new parts. It’s cheaper and faster to buy new ones altogether. Sell what you have to offset the cost and be done. You will be happier you did.
Glass Dave is doing my transom. Anyone know of a good place to buy brand new HP Bravo gimbal/transom assemblies?