Old 08-24-2020, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ignition

Looking for recommendations on an ignition system for my 540 I'm getting built
Old 08-25-2020, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

That's easy, Daytona Sensors CD-1 Marine ignition. Completely programmable, has idle speed control for those of us with big cam and start retard. You can tie timing to boost levels, you can retard timing by a set amount based on an input. 2D and 3D timing controls. I run 93 octane, but if I have to get marina gas I can flip a switch and retard timing 4 degrees. CG certified. I had an MSD marine version and you had to buy a start retard module for starting which killed your idle control I ended up locking the distributor. It had the plug in modules for rev limiter and advance was totally mechanical. The really big deal is the idle control. It will advance timing to maintain idle speed when you put it in gear. It's night and day different from the MSD, the boat idles like a dream now and docking in adverse conditions is no longer a challenge. My boat has never run so good. I kept toying with the idea of switching to EFI for idle control. The Daytona Sensors is so good I will never go EFI. I'm in Northern Michigan and I boat from May to mid to late October so it's a bit chilly. The water temp in May is still in the 30's. I have a custom 1000cfm 4150 carb without a choke, 2 1" spacers and a single plane high rise intake and with this ignition it still starts like EFI when it's cold. Best part is I found it online for $460 for the box and coil.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThisIsLivin:
resurrected (08-25-2020), SB (08-25-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Daytona ignition, wondering what site u bought daytona box and coil from? I cant find it that cheap ,thanks
Old 08-27-2020, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
That's easy, Daytona Sensors CD-1 Marine ignition. Completely programmable, has idle speed control for those of us with big cam and start retard. You can tie timing to boost levels, you can retard timing by a set amount based on an input. 2D and 3D timing controls. I run 93 octane, but if I have to get marina gas I can flip a switch and retard timing 4 degrees. CG certified. I had an MSD marine version and you had to buy a start retard module for starting which killed your idle control I ended up locking the distributor. It had the plug in modules for rev limiter and advance was totally mechanical. The really big deal is the idle control. It will advance timing to maintain idle speed when you put it in gear. It's night and day different from the MSD, the boat idles like a dream now and docking in adverse conditions is no longer a challenge. My boat has never run so good. I kept toying with the idea of switching to EFI for idle control. The Daytona Sensors is so good I will never go EFI. I'm in Northern Michigan and I boat from May to mid to late October so it's a bit chilly. The water temp in May is still in the 30's. I have a custom 1000cfm 4150 carb without a choke, 2 1" spacers and a single plane high rise intake and with this ignition it still starts like EFI when it's cold. Best part is I found it online for $460 for the box and coil.
second that! my 557s with 1050 quickfuels start with one quick pump of the throttle. idle like stock 454's and you dont have to buy that garbage MSD products.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 446 Likes on 244 Posts

if you want simple i switched to a delco est after the msd with start retard died for no reason..... it now fires up if anything to fast i would prefer it crank a bit to get oil pressure up its a hard charging 540 solid lifters with a holly 1200
Old 08-28-2020, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorse dave
Daytona ignition, wondering what site u bought daytona box and coil from? I cant find it that cheap ,thanks
I got it from Pit Stop USA. Just checked their site and it’s now $625. Didn’t realize what a deal I got. Either way knowing what I know now I would pay whatever it costs. I was actually thinking about getting a cam sensor and a Microsquirt and do an LS type system. Now that would have been expensive.