Notices

Turbochargers

Old 09-23-2020, 08:28 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by TomFTM
Here you go.
Beautiful. Do I see belt driven fuel pumps ? If so, who’s ?
Old 09-23-2020, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Im a small nobody in the turbo world, but Ill give you my experience so far. Gale Banks made the turbos for the Mercruiser 475 package. These were water cooled turbo housings and it was a draw thru system using a rayjay turbo. M&W made a bolt on kit using Rayjay turbos and water cooled housings and their kit was a blow thru into a box that that carb sat in. On my Scarab, I have the foundation of the Mercruiser 475 package except my exhaust housings have water cooled heat shields and rayjay turbos.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Great article:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...7l5?li=BBnb4R5
Old 09-23-2020, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
Boost is not boost. 10lbs from one turbo will not make the same power from 10lbs of a different turbo.
That's because of turbine efficiency/set up. 10PSI in the intake manifold is 10PSI in the intake manifold. How you get there is what will change the output to the crankshaft. An engine will respond differently based on turbine housing/wheel sizing, supercharger drive losses, ect.

A turbo engine with 2:1 backpressure will make less power than one with 1:1 backpressure at the same boost level for this reason.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by c0ncEpT
That's because of turbine efficiency/set up. 10PSI in the intake manifold is 10PSI in the intake manifold. How you get there is what will change the output to the crankshaft. An engine will respond differently based on turbine housing/wheel sizing, supercharger drive losses, ect.

A turbo engine with 2:1 backpressure will make less power than one with 1:1 backpressure at the same boost level for this reason.
Exactly right. At 25# of boost we had 25# of exhaust back pressure.
The following users liked this post:
c0ncEpT (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

TomFTM--Thanks so much for the picture. I have those exact exhaust housings, but a different internal wastegate setup. (diaphragm in the housing) I wasn' sure what the small cast "bungs" were for, as mine were plugged. I see I can convert mine over to a more modern wastegate. Pictures of Gentry stuff can be hard to come by. Thanks Again! That's what I aspire to for my engines to be.

Offtopic--- My intercoolers are a bit different but do have the large water inlet and outlet like yours. Are you running you water from the pump there first then out to the motor, or are you pulling water from somewhere else?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2020, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by check300
Exactly right. At 25# of boost we had 25# of exhaust back pressure.
sent you a PM...or are we now calling it a DM? Whatever. Sent you a message
Old 09-23-2020, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Boost is fickle thing, if you efficient intake heads etc. boost will measure lower than what others may say. I know on my motor a blower that would traditionally produce 8lbs only produced 3#, I had to get a different blower to get any numbers above 4#. my heads and intake flow very well. there is an art to boosted flow and very few grasp it. Most engine builders just dont care how heads, intake flow when throwing boost at motor. it is pretty well admitted by them.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know who makes the Mercruiser turbos? I have looked for a performance watercooled turbo but I can't find anything. For a while Tial was making water cooled housings but they don't now. Thanks.