Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Evidence of water in 7 and 8 exhaust ports - both engines. Why? >

Evidence of water in 7 and 8 exhaust ports - both engines. Why?

Notices

Evidence of water in 7 and 8 exhaust ports - both engines. Why?

Old 10-04-2020, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 693 Posts

The were no leaks seen on the starboard set. The port set looked like there was a small air leak on the bottom of the flange. I did not use a sealant thinking the graphite was enough to seal it. That was only on the off bank.

When I took the port side apart to do the heads in early 2019, those same ports showed something similar though much worse so it’s happened before. I thought for sure the headers may have leaked, but they have been solid. My tests from yesterday showed no issues and I really worked them; they were almost too hot to touch. No leaks. Maybe I need to test the tailpipes too, but I’m not sure of how to knock that out, though they look really clean.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Not sure what happened here. On the port engine that had a recent valve job, the guides were really tight going into the exhaust port. The exhaust valves on 5, 7, and 8 had to be forced out. Inserting the valves from the top showed a problem with the last 1/8 inch of the guides. I checked the others and they were fine. The other pair of heads had no guide issues. There was no crud in the guides. They were pretty dry though. Both sets had valve seals. The seats appeared to be intact. Those heads had been shaved a couple times and I had compression problems because the valves weren’t quite seating (I switched to adjustable a valvetrain but probably too late). Perhaps that caused the ends of the guides to swell?

Pics. Cleaner combustion chambers but rusty outsides were from the starboard engine. Fresher paint but black combustion chambers are the port engine’s.

Old 10-04-2020, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Old 10-04-2020, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

So glad I’m in fresh water.
The following users liked this post:
SB (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I hear ya. I’m converting to closed cooling when the new ones go back together.

All that rust was being caused by the weeping head gaskets. I’m refreshing everything so a fresh decks should mean better gaskets and hopefully no more leaks.
The following users liked this post:
SB (10-04-2020)