Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
@ 5 lbs of boost is an intercooler needed? >

@ 5 lbs of boost is an intercooler needed?

Notices

@ 5 lbs of boost is an intercooler needed?

Old 10-22-2020, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default @ 5 lbs of boost is an intercooler needed?

I know all the big hp guys need them but the blowers are spinning harder and beating up and heating the air.
With only 5 lbs of boost from a turbo would an intercooler be needed? Thanks for any info, RM
Old 10-23-2020, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

No, as long as you are running lower compression, 9:1 or little less, and some decent fuel, 91 octane or better, you will definitely not need an intercooler. I have run 8-9 psi of boost, on 93 octane fuel, with no intercooler for over a decade with no issues.
The following users liked this post:
kjm5125 (10-28-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Andrew56 View Post
No, as long as you are running lower compression, 9:1 or little less, and some decent fuel, 91 octane or better, you will definitely not need an intercooler. I have run 8-9 psi of boost, on 93 octane fuel, with no intercooler for over a decade with no issues.
thanks for the info. I plan to run an intercooler as I canít get good fuel where I am and my plan it to turbo a bone stock 5.3L LS1 engine. Which is Iím sure 9 to 1.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

When I first installed my centrifugal super chargers I was told I did not need a intercooler because I was boating in cooler water and not building much boost (5lbs) so I installed them without the intercoolers , ran the boat not happy with the performance I added intercoolers and picked up 6mph.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by green lightning View Post
When I first installed my centrifugal super chargers I was told I did not need a intercooler because I was boating in cooler water and not building much boost (5lbs) so I installed them without the intercoolers , ran the boat not happy with the performance I added intercoolers and picked up 6mph.
what engine you running bbc?
what intercooler are you using? Thanks
Old 10-23-2020, 09:21 AM
Registered

BBC I made my own did not like anything that was being offered
The following 2 users liked this post by green lightning:
I'CE (10-23-2020), OPS VZLA (10-24-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 09:36 AM
Registered

BBC I made my own did not like anything that was being offered
thatís a clean looking set up.

The type Iím looking for is an in-line Intercooler as I plan to use the oem intake throttle body which has a large opening to the throttle body at the front of the intake.

im curious how much a centrifugal blower heats the air vs a turbo and Whipple style blower...
Old 10-23-2020, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

About 12 years ago I built a street car engine, sbf with a Vortech centrifugal. Was a healthy setup with 9:1 designed to run on 93 pump gas. I had a custom cam ground with passing strict ny dyno testing emissions. Basically the cam had no over lap. Plan was to run 10-14lbs. Didn't work out that way. Air temps were high 100s-200ish. The engine would detonate instantly. Kept putting larger blower pulleys on to lower boost. Got to the point I ran out of pulleys to use and had a custom larger pulley made. From memory, I got it down to 5-6 psi and it still detonated like crazy. Had to pull engine in short time do to black death on the pistons.

Bottom line, engine had to much cylinder pressure and today's pump gas is junk. I learned a lot from that build. Boost is not everything.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland View Post
thatís a clean looking set up.

The type Iím looking for is an in-line Intercooler as I plan to use the oem intake throttle body which has a large opening to the throttle body at the front of the intake.

im curious how much a centrifugal blower heats the air vs a turbo and Whipple style blower...
I don't know what the temps are on the other set-ups but with mine after a hard run you can not touch my charge pipe so it is at least 150'F
Old 10-23-2020, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland View Post
thanks for the info. I plan to run an intercooler as I canít get good fuel where I am and my plan it to turbo a bone stock 5.3L LS1 engine. Which is Iím sure 9 to 1.
What do you mean you're sure it is 9:1? The LS1 is 5.7L, and 10.2:1. There are many different 5.3L Ls engines with compression anywhere from 9.5:1 - 10.2:1, none are 9:1 from the factory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.