Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
2 stage sea pump plumbing question >

2 stage sea pump plumbing question

Notices

2 stage sea pump plumbing question

Old 01-06-2021, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

the whole header is gold not hot spots, im 95% sure its a header issue and not a water flow issue, sending the headers to cmi to get fixed and then selling them, putting stainless marines on the boat.

this was more of a question of is a 2 stage too much for the drive pickup
Old 01-06-2021, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

IMO the way you have your system plumbed yes ,drive pickup is not enough. The lines through the transom get pretty small on a bravo. The biggest mistake made is assuming pressure means you have enough flow. If your taking your pressure readings from the block and have a restriction point before your headers, they could be starving for water. On my system we pull pressure from bell housing with the smartcraft and from the block witch is after the bell housing and also a in line trans cooler. The pressures will vary up to 6 lbs at times between the two. My final restriction point is in the jumper hose to the tail pipe, to ensure enough flow to header. My point is in your system your restriction point is ahead of the header. Maybe if you could y the dump for you intercooler back in line after one of your coolers before the engine it would give you back that volume of water to the header.
The following users liked this post:
OPS VZLA (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 10:30 AM
Registered

ive got the restrictors on the tail in the jumper hose, and only 1 header had the issue so im leaning twards a header issue
Old 01-06-2021, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by b18cls1
current setup in my boat is 1.25 hose from bravo xr its transom with sportmaster lower to sea strainer then to 2 stage hardin pump, with common outlet < Both stages exit into 1 1.25 hose> through oil coolers ect then to crossover out intake into headers and then overboard, i have a 1/2 line taped off the outlet of pump feeding intercooler and dumping overboard, the rear intake is plumbed into the rear of the header water manifold so they flow out headers

is the 2 stage pump too much for the single line through transom?

i cooked off 1 header last weekend had a water flow issue,header turned gold melted the exhast coupler at the transom ect, boat had 14 psi water pressure at 5200 rpm, im thinking theres a issue with a cmi header more than anything but have been curious about the setup. only had the boat out twice, thought about going to a transom pickup but dont want to slow the boat down with them
I have the same type pump and I think that pump is more that the outdrive can supply water for , I wonder why someone installed a two stage pump and plumbed them back together does it feed a large engine with high oil temperatures ?
Old 01-06-2021, 11:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by green lightning
I have the same type pump and I think that pump is more that the outdrive can supply water for , I wonder why someone installed a two stage pump and plumbed them back together does it feed a large engine with high oil temperatures ?
motor is a 540 ci 871 blower 800 hp
Old 01-06-2021, 11:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by b18cls1
motor is a 540 ci 871 blower 800 hp
Do you have intercoolers
Old 01-06-2021, 11:36 AM
Registered

I looked at your first post and saw that you have intercoolers can you see the amount of water that exit the intercoolers ? And to answer your question I think you have to go to a transom water feed to get the full water flow from the two stage pumps the piping inside the bravo's are to small
Old 01-06-2021, 12:33 PM
Registered

you can see the intercooler water dump in the side of the boat in the pic
Old 01-06-2021, 01:17 PM
Registered

If you are not having a problem with your engines running hot or high oil temperatures and only 1 header cooked sent it out and have it checked out , if they find no issues you are going to look for the cause , other than that I would think the piping is adequate for your application .
Old 01-06-2021, 01:30 PM
Registered

oil temps and water temps are staying under control 190s oil 160 water i do think its a header issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.