525efi fuel pressure bleeding off >

525efi fuel pressure bleeding off

Notices

525efi fuel pressure bleeding off

Old 03-07-2021, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 525efi fuel pressure bleeding off

Took my boat to the mechanic this weekend and they did a fuel pressure test. (I was in there for routine drive maintenance so they did not have time to dig into it further). Trusted shop on LOTO. I have 1 motor lagging about 200 RPMs when cruising so they started with a fuel pressure test since they were pressed for time. When the key was turned on the pressure when to 43psi and held, as soon as key was turned off the pressure dropped to 0 with in a couple of seconds. Any thoughts? they are thinking possible injector or fuel pressure regulator. Where would you start?
Old 03-08-2021, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by therealmccoy
Took my boat to the mechanic this weekend and they did a fuel pressure test. (I was in there for routine drive maintenance so they did not have time to dig into it further). Trusted shop on LOTO. I have 1 motor lagging about 200 RPMs when cruising so they started with a fuel pressure test since they were pressed for time. When the key was turned on the pressure when to 43psi and held, as soon as key was turned off the pressure dropped to 0 with in a couple of seconds. Any thoughts? they are thinking possible injector or fuel pressure regulator. Where would you start?
Wouldn't that be normal? The 525 runs off a mechanical fuel pump after being primed by an electric one.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

It stays at 43 until key is turned OFF.
Does the pump continue to run with the key ON, or just a key seconds when key is first turned ON?
Old 03-08-2021, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Could be bad regulator or injector. Need to pull the vacuum reference line and see if fuel is leaking past the diaphragm of the regulator. If not have to pull the fuel rail and inspect the injectors
The following users liked this post:
therealmccoy (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 06:52 PM
Registered

Alldodge: just for a couple of seconds.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by therealmccoy
just for a couple of seconds.
Pump runs a couple seconds and stays there, then when key is turned off it goes to zero
That's something I haven't heard before. There is no reason for it to do that, I'm stumped
The following users liked this post:
speicher lane (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

in order to bleed off 43PSI of fuel, it has to go somewhere.

The test was performed with a proper mechanical fuel pressure gauge correct?... or did someone make a dash mount 12v into a test gauge (battery supply goes off, reads 0psi even though the pressure is in system)

Probably grabbing at straws with that... but even a bad injector bleeding off that much could/should/would wet out a cylinder

Last edited by speicher lane; 03-08-2021 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
in order to bleed off 43PSI of fuel, it has to go somewhere.

The test was performed with a proper mechanical fuel pressure gauge correct?... or did someone make a dash mount 12v into a test gauge (battery supply goes off, reads 0psi even though the pressure is in system)

Probably grabbing at straws with that... but even a bad injector bleeding off that much could/should/would wet out a cylinder
I was thinking the same thing, I read back though and he said it bleeds off after a couple of seconds. If it needed 12 volts and lost it, the needle should go down instantly
Old 03-09-2021, 06:46 PM
Registered

brand new mechanical snap on fuel gauge. I was standing there, It held pressure one time but the other 3-4 did not. we did not want to do it too many times and hydro lock the motor if it was an injector.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:56 PM
Registered

Voltage, applied to an injector or not, should not have anything to do with the injector loosing fuel. The ECM applies a ground to one leg of the injector to turn it ON (pulse). Removing 12V from one side without a ground being applied to the other side by the ECM should do nothing.

That said, turning power OFF does have an effect. So is it a bad injector issue of some sort, or an issue with the ECM. Keep in mind the fuel pump is not running

Is the correct method to test the ECM, injectors or other? Unsure if testing a MEFI-3 will be able to tell if it's applying a ground when power is removed for s split second before power leaves the injector.

Since RPM's were down from the beginning, I would lean toward testing the injectors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.