T-5 ICM help

Notices

T-5 ICM help

Old 03-10-2021, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-5 ICM help

Please help,

I have a 1996 - 7.4 GEN VI Mercruiser Sterndrive engine S/N OF809873 with the Thunderbolt v ignition system. The engine has top end modifications, fresh water cooled, MSD Ignition Coil, Edelbrock marine aluminum heads & intake, Edelbrock Marine carburetor, roller rockers with increased ratio to open the valves wider, but I kept the stock roller cam & hydraulic roller lifters, high performance push rods, and Hardin marine SS tube headers.

I plan to keep the Thunderbolt V distributor #805185A26, The Knock control module #805443T & the Mercathode corrosion protection system controller #42600A3.

I have looked at aftermarket distributor options and I am still convinced the Thunderbolt V is the best option for me due to the fact it does not contain springs & weights to operate. This is a 70 mph 25-foot boat that often operates in some rough waters. I am very concerned about how the weights & springs will function or rather malfunction under these conditions. It is my belief, that was the reason Mercruiser developed the T 5 to operate without them.

Mercruiser has ignition controller conversion kit(s) #806959A01 & #806745A01 to replace my #806959T4 controller that finally failed after my many years of use. Oddly the conversion kit(s) require cutting and splicing into the engine wiring harness, which I find undesirable.

Is there an adapter pigtail to go from the T 5 harness to the new conversion kit control box(s), Which would be desirable?

Can I use the high-performance Mag engine ignition control box conversion version #806745A01 as a replacement to my #806959T4?

Will the #806745A01 work with the modifications I have made to this engine and does it have a higher Rev limit, How high?

Is there a high-performance aftermarket version already set up with all the correct connections and slightly higher or adjustable Rev limit available as a replacement to the #806959T4?

As a last resort a friend has a #806959T5 will this work with my application?

Please let me know if you have or know of any reliable option to my requests.

Thank you,

boatman02777
Old 03-10-2021, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 447 Likes on 245 Posts

replace it with a delco est system no weights no knock retard it just works much better and all parts are easy to obtain as it was used by many marine and auto manufactures we run it on a very healthy 540 that runs hard up to 6800 and it works awesome it idles with a lot of inital timing that boats love.....you can buy cheap ones on amazon to test out how it runs they are less than 100 for dist coil and wires maybe a bit more this year but look into it delco external coil hei system it was on some trucks and camaros late 80s early 90s
Old 03-10-2021, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

boostbros,

Thank you for responding, I will look into that now.

Would you happen to know the part # I would need?

Thank you,
boatman02777
Old 03-10-2021, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 447 Likes on 245 Posts

A-Team Performance Distributor, 8mm Spark Plug Wires, and E-Core Ignition Coil Compatible With 1987-1997 SBC BBC GMC Chevrolet 5.0L 5.7L C/K Pickup Truck Van Camaro 305 350 Red Cap & Wires .........that will get you looking in the right direction i buy the 40 dollar dist and use them for parts they actualy do work pretty well there are hight quality kits availabe from places like michigan motorz good luck