Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Thunderbolt V with M3SC procharger (go easy on me lol) >

Thunderbolt V with M3SC procharger (go easy on me lol)

Notices

Thunderbolt V with M3SC procharger (go easy on me lol)

Old 04-27-2021, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Are you going to dyno this engine? O2's in the exhaust to read AFR's to properly jet the carb?
Old 04-27-2021, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rookie, I wasn't planning on dynoing it, even though I know this would be most desirable especially to read the AFR's. I was going to do it by checking plugs (I know not nearly as accurate as a dyno with everything hooked up) The Carb is brand new from Nickerson and I have all the specs for it.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:58 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Maybe try something like this, Universal SafeGuard for Distributor Ignition (jandssafeguard.com)
Old 04-28-2021, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Ontariocheckmate
Hey guys, wondering if someone has done as the title says? I have a 253 Checkmate Convincor with a 454 Mag motor in it. Motor was just done before I bought the boat, bored .030 over but other then that completely stock. I purchased a Procharger M3SC kit with the intercooler and plan on running around 5 PSI of boost (what procharger rep has told me anyways) Ive upgraded the fuel system with an Aeromotive A1000 pump and a Aeromotive boost referenced regulator, all fuel lines upsized as well and a return plumbed to the tank, Nickerson blow threw carb topping it off. I think Ive got the fuel system covered and dont have any questions there.

My question is regarding the timing and the Thunderbolt V system thats on my motor (yes Ive verified it is a TBV as it has the knock sensor and module) My eyes are burning from the amount of reading Ive been doing regarding timing and blowers/prochargers. Has anyone successfully used the TBV ignition system with a blower motor?? Im not looking at running anymore then 5 PSI of boost at this time but want something reliable. Nearly done installing all the other components and have not ran the motor at all yet, hence the reason for the question incase I need to order more parts. Ive done a search and there seems to be quite a bit of information regarding EFI with prochargers just not a pile with carbs? Ive heard that running the V6-14 module was the fix for the TBIV systems but that wont work with my system because of the changing timing curve correct?

Thanks for any help!
Mine does not have a knock sensor so I don't know about that . with mine all I did was set my base timing and check full advanced at 3000 rpm . I would be more worried about your carburetor most of the ones I have looked at were very rich .
The following users liked this post:
Ontariocheckmate (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 03:24 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Rookie, I wasn't planning on dynoing it, even though I know this would be most desirable especially to read the AFR's. I was going to do it by checking plugs (I know not nearly as accurate as a dyno with everything hooked up) The Carb is brand new from Nickerson and I have all the specs for it.
It only takes a few seconds with a bad tune to take a piston out, best of luck to you.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Please tell me what a plug looks like that is running 12.5 AFR and one that is 13.9 AFR.

Please, for the love of God, install a wideband system, you will not regret it and will likely never pull a plug again to 'read it'. It is invaluable for tuning, and quite frankly full time monitoring.
The following users liked this post:
Boatally Insane (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trash, Which Wideband system would you recommend?
Old 04-28-2021, 06:47 PM
Registered

Trash, Which Wideband system would you recommend?
Any is better than nothing. Innovate, FAST, AEM.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:13 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

While on the subject, is the NTK sensor still the strongest ?
Old 04-28-2021, 07:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
While on the subject, is the NTK sensor still the strongest ?
Yes
They better be, I just bought 2. And Holley is very proud of them...!

Last edited by Rookie; 04-28-2021 at 07:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.