How's this engine look ? >

How's this engine look ?

Notices

How's this engine look ?

Old 06-02-2021, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts
Default How's this engine look ?

Been sitting seven years, 6 in the boat in a field and 1 in a box in my driveway.
the plugs are in order viewed from the flywheel.
couldn't get pics of the cylinder walls, but they are shiny with the exception of a slight stain where the pistons sat.
I was surprised to see how clean the top end was.
the valve cover bolts were just passed finger tight and that was the worst of any oil seepage.
i put 1/2 teaspoon of 10w40 down each plug hole and turned the engine by hand till the timing mark came around 8 times.

Old 06-02-2021, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 64 Posts

Looks like an engine that has been sitting for about 6 years. What do you wanna know? Fire it up!!
The following users liked this post:
tommymonza (06-06-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

If the compression checks out, and you are happy with it - I personally, would throw a gasket set at it. You are already into VC gaskets, replace the pan and the timing seals and cut down on the chance of a leak... old dry seals never did like hot oil/ rotating parts.
The following users liked this post:
SABER28 (06-03-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

Pan off, new seals and gaskets, prime oil pump with drill, fire it up! I have a 1946 flathead that sat for ten years (running when I parked it!), all I did was change the oil and rebuild the carb, runs like a top
Old 06-03-2021, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts

If your looking for a quick get on the water I’d cover the basics as mentioned including possible gaskets, pan replacement if questionable and fire it up with a HEI. Check for leaks and go have fun. You can refresh this fall/winter.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

Thanks guys, Valve cover ,exhaust manifold gaskets were here before the parts came off, i split the manifold and riser apart today, they needed flushing and got painted too. Riser gaskets are on way.
Im good with doing the pan gasket but pulling the harmonic off and that front cover plate not so much, it's like asking for trouble.

far as a pan gasket goes, does the 1 piece rubberized with stops from fel pro sound good.
i don't have a stand but it has to get hoisted to freshen up the mounts, also remove trans and bell, i'll do the pan at that point.
The engine doesn't need to be upside down for the pan install i hope ?
Old 06-05-2021, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by outonsafari
Thanks guys, Valve cover ,exhaust manifold gaskets were here before the parts came off, i split the manifold and riser apart today, they needed flushing and got painted too. Riser gaskets are on way.
Im good with doing the pan gasket but pulling the harmonic off and that front cover plate not so much, it's like asking for trouble.

far as a pan gasket goes, does the 1 piece rubberized with stops from fel pro sound good.
i don't have a stand but it has to get hoisted to freshen up the mounts, also remove trans and bell, i'll do the pan at that point.
The engine doesn't need to be upside down for the pan install i hope ?
it does not need to be upside down, yes the one pieces are good, sealant in corners per the gel pro instructions