Fuel line and fittings >

Fuel line and fittings

Notices

Fuel line and fittings

Old 06-06-2021, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fuel line and fittings

Yesterday, I noticed that my fuel feed line and fuel vent hoses are are little crimped where they run through the rear seat bulkhead so I am going to replace them.

This would be from the fuel tank to the fuel water separator which is about 3 ft. of 1/2" ID hose and 5ft of 5/8" ID vent hose.

Besides making sure it is USCG marine hose, is there any preference on which brand to use?

Also would it be better to run a little extra hose and loop it or would adding a 90 degree fitting in it to lessen the bend be better? If so what kind of fittings?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2021, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm headed down the same road except my fuel lines between tank and fuel filter are 5/8" (or AN-10). Shields brand is supposed to be good stuff. Trident is also a good brand which I just found out is sold by OSO sponser Teague Custom Marine. Just ordered some from them.

I think this would work for you in regards to your 1/2" FEED line:
https://teaguecustommarine.com/em001...scga-fuel-hose

I replaced the lines in 2013 but didn't know at the time about the different Coast Guard ratings and installed type B2. Should have installed type A1-15.
The "A" stands for fire tested.(OK for use in eng compartment)
"B" stands for NOT fire tested (so not to be used in eng compartment)

The "1" stands for fuel feed line (line always has fuel in it)
"2" stands for fuel tank FILL and/or VENT hose only (fuel NOT always in hose)

The "-15" stands for how much vapor loss is acceptable (permeation rating maximum of 15 g/mē/24hrs (15 grams per square meter in 24 hours)

This has to be one of the least understood ratings in the marine industry. Not one marine store I've spoken to today (~10 people) knew what I was talking about or what is required per the USCG. Kinda scary.

Personally, I would prefer to loop the line as opposed to adding a 90 deg fitting which will add some restriction. If loop is large, might need to add additional support so it's not flexing excessively while pounding the waves.FWIW, the Trident line listed on the Teague site says it has good "Bend-ability".

Last edited by zz28zz; 06-07-2021 at 04:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zfrilly (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks for that info zz28zz!
Old 06-07-2021, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

You're welcome. Makes me wonder how many fires have started due to not understanding these requirements. I've heard that ins companies may check for this and deny a fire claim.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 892 Likes on 320 Posts

if you have to use a 90 degree fitting you need to use a straight fitting with a 90 sweep hose end. a regular 90 fitting is very restrictive. if you cant use a sweep 90 hose end then a longer loop would be less restriction.

as zz said, current USCG regs call for A1-15 rated hose and yes some insurance will reject a fire claim if they find something else.