Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What Gen 496? >

What Gen 496?

Notices

What Gen 496?

Old 07-05-2021, 10:11 AM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Cape Coral, Fl.
Posts: 6
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Gen 496?

How do I determine what Gen my 2002 496 engines are? Serial Numbers are OM348444 and OM348383
Cant seem to find any reference to what Generation they are

Thanks,

Kevin
Indy1K is offline  
Old 07-06-2021, 08:53 AM
  #2  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Coral FL
Posts: 1,776
Likes: 0
Received 144 Likes on 91 Posts
Default

As far as I know, all 496's are a gen VII. What are you trying to accomplish?
snapmorgan is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by snapmorgan:
Indy1K (07-07-2021), SB (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 12:17 PM
  #3  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 263
Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Yes all the 8.1/496 from 2001 to the end of production are considered a gen VII (7). There were some slight updates over the years to the fuel system (around 2005 ish), the heat exchanger size, and the exhaust manifolds to mention a few. Yours from 2002 should have the aluminum exhaust manifolds, a 3.5" dia heat exchanger, and the Gen 2 cool fuel system. There were a very few early 2001 496HO engines that had the forged crank made by Kellog. The rest of the engines have a cast crank and non forged rods/pistons. All have smartcraft and can utilize the vessel view technology.
87MirageIntruder is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Indy1K (07-07-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 12:29 PM
  #4  
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,695
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder View Post
Yes all the 8.1/496 from 2001 to the end of production are considered a gen VII (7). There were some slight updates over the years to the fuel system (around 2005 ish), the heat exchanger size, and the exhaust manifolds to mention a few. Yours from 2002 should have the aluminum exhaust manifolds, a 3.5" dia heat exchanger, and the Gen 2 cool fuel system. There were a very few early 2001 496HO engines that had the forged crank made by Kellog. The rest of the engines have a cast crank and non forged rods/pistons. All have smartcraft and can utilize the vessel view technology.
Just to correct the above, all 496's do not have smart craft. My 2002 did not even though it had smart craft stickers on it.
underpsi68 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Indy1K (07-07-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 12:39 PM
  #5  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 263
Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

That's false advertising Underpsi68! Everyone loves stickers though.
87MirageIntruder is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Indy1K (07-07-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 07:33 AM
  #6  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Cape Coral, Fl.
Posts: 6
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Just want to know for the Cool Fuel issues with the paint flaking off inside the fuel pumps and getting into the injectors. Some were saying it was the later Gens that had this issue, others say it was resolved in later Gens. Dont know where my engines fall in this situation.
Also, good to know if ordering parts.
I didnt realize there was a Gen VII of the 496.

Thanks for all the info.

Kevin
Indy1K is offline  
Old 07-17-2021, 10:04 AM
  #7  
SB
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: On A Dirt Floor
Posts: 11,565
Received 1,158 Likes on 501 Posts
Default

Technically.

There isnít a Gen VII of the 496.

The 496 is the Gen VII of the big block chevy.
SB is online now  
The following 3 users liked this post by SB:
Griff (07-19-2021), Indy1K (07-18-2021), underpsi68 (07-17-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 11:17 AM
  #8  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Cape Coral, Fl.
Posts: 6
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by underpsi68 View Post
Just to correct the above, all 496's do not have smart craft. My 2002 did not even though it had smart craft stickers on it.
How would I know if my Cobalt has it or not? I have the stock Faria Beade gauges. COMMANDER version, but no digital output to a network connection, that I know of.
Indy1K is offline  
The following users liked this post:
underpsi68 (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 11:39 AM
  #9  
Registered
 
techman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 458
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

From Mercury

"The SmartCraft line of products are applicable to all Mercury/Mariner OptiMax outboard engines starting with Model 2000, and all MerCruiser 8.1 liter engines for Model Year 2001"

Last edited by techman; 07-18-2021 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Found the info on the web
techman is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Indy1K (07-19-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 05:51 PM
  #10  
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,695
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Indy1K View Post
How would I know if my Cobalt has it or not? I have the stock Faria Beade gauges. COMMANDER version, but no digital output to a network connection, that I know of.
I called up Mercury racing and actually got a guy that was very helpful AND knowledgeable. He had me going thru the wiring harness on the engine as I was talking to him for quite some time. My engine was missing some wires/connectors.

I know it states all 8.1 are Smartcraft. After talking to this very knowledgeable tech, mine was not, nor were the earlier serial numbers. I wanted to connect the engine to my Garmin 740. I was never able to do it. Mine was also a 2002 FWIW.
underpsi68 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Indy1K (07-19-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.