Tough decision, NEED HELP!! >

Tough decision, NEED HELP!!

Notices

Tough decision, NEED HELP!!

Old 07-20-2021, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tough decision, NEED HELP!!

Here's my issue. Been looking quite a while for a boat and thought I found one but now I'm not sure. Just want your thoughts. I,ll try to keep it short.
2004 38' boat, 2x525's, 240 scanned hrs. Looked at this same boat 4-5 yrs. ago with 220 hrs. and discovered a bad cyl on #7 port engine so walked away. He told me that this same motor was just rebuilt. I said well, you better get it pulled back out because it 's gonna need it again. So, at this point , Port motor went down twice. I don't what happened the first time the motor lost compression on #7 cyl. but this last time I know that it had a melted piston. Now this is 4-5 yrs later I am looking for another boat and I see it listed again. I call him up and he still remembers me so we talked and I went down last Saturday to check/test out boat again. Scanned it, everything looked good. We went for about a 60mi. test run and all worked great. He just had both motors completely rebuilt. Both bored .030 over, new pistons, rings, bearings, lifters, valve springs, etc. He had them both done because he wanted both motors to be the same. Starbord motor has never had an issue. No blow by everything sounded great. I checked the oil in both motors. Starbord motor oil looked like new, Port oil looked discolored already. Though that was kind of strange. I asked him if he had the injectors tested and he didn't know. So nobody ever got to the root of the problem. At this point it scares me because now a brand new motor has been run for about 20 hrs. with the problem still not fixed. So if it is a bad injector it could be starting to work on that piston again, or it could be #7 on the other motor because I don't know if they switched intakes or not. I know that I could do a leak down on both motors, pull all the injectors and have them flow tested but that still doesn't tell me if there is any damage to a piston already. That oil being discolored on the motor that has had all the problems kind of has me concerned.
Any input would be great!
Thanks in advance.
Craig
Old 07-20-2021, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by cprperformance
Here's my issue. Been looking quite a while for a boat and thought I found one but now I'm not sure. Just want your thoughts. I,ll try to keep it short.
2004 38' boat, 2x525's, 240 scanned hrs. Looked at this same boat 4-5 yrs. ago with 220 hrs. and discovered a bad cyl on #7 port engine so walked away. He told me that this same motor was just rebuilt. I said well, you better get it pulled back out because it 's gonna need it again. So, at this point , Port motor went down twice. I don't what happened the first time the motor lost compression on #7 cyl. but this last time I know that it had a melted piston. Now this is 4-5 yrs later I am looking for another boat and I see it listed again. I call him up and he still remembers me so we talked and I went down last Saturday to check/test out boat again. Scanned it, everything looked good. We went for about a 60mi. test run and all worked great. He just had both motors completely rebuilt. Both bored .030 over, new pistons, rings, bearings, lifters, valve springs, etc. He had them both done because he wanted both motors to be the same. Starbord motor has never had an issue. No blow by everything sounded great. I checked the oil in both motors. Starbord motor oil looked like new, Port oil looked discolored already. Though that was kind of strange. I asked him if he had the injectors tested and he didn't know. So nobody ever got to the root of the problem. At this point it scares me because now a brand new motor has been run for about 20 hrs. with the problem still not fixed. So if it is a bad injector it could be starting to work on that piston again, or it could be #7 on the other motor because I don't know if they switched intakes or not. I know that I could do a leak down on both motors, pull all the injectors and have them flow tested but that still doesn't tell me if there is any damage to a piston already. That oil being discolored on the motor that has had all the problems kind of has me concerned.
Any input would be great!
Thanks in advance.
Craig
Did you go though all the paper work ?
Old 07-20-2021, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Sounds like a head ache. I would keep looking.
The following users liked this post:
getrdunn (07-21-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

pull spark plugs and look inside with a borescope
The following 3 users liked this post by 260cat:
BIGSLOW (07-21-2021), Metalguy38 (07-20-2021), ThisIsLivin (07-21-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by 260cat
pull spark plugs and look inside with a borescope
What about the discolored oil?
Old 07-20-2021, 04:18 PM
Registered

I know the oil really bothers me. My mind tells me if the oil in one moter is like brand new then it should be the same in the other. If not there's wear somewhere. Being a mechanic for 40 yrs. tells me I should probably walk but this stupid boat has everything that I have been looking for.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 146 Likes on 80 Posts

Send both engines oil in for testing , cut the filters open, do a leak down test , compression test and look in with a borescope. If everything comes back sound have the injectors cleaned and put in a wideband.
The following 3 users liked this post by carnutsx2:
260cat (07-21-2021), BIGSLOW (07-21-2021), ThisIsLivin (07-21-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 07:13 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the input! I bought the boat. Pulled all the injectors and flow tested them, all looked good. The one thing that I did find is that all the injector filters in the motor that has been the problem when I pulled the injectors from the rails the filters were not in the injectors they were floating around inside the fuel rail. I had to fish them out one by one. I would have to think that would really restrict fuel flow, especially on high throttle. Thats the first thing that I found. After getting everything back together I had my scanner on both motors to do some comparing and the only thing that I could see that differed was the block pressure on the problem motor would stay on 98. Does anyone know if that would be causing any problem?
Old 08-01-2021, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Do your 525 engines have the fuel filters on the back of the intake?

There is a thread from" thirdchildhood" about changing them out ..most people don't know they are there.

Can't recall the title but it's something like "adventures in...." Or search the forums for 525 fuel filters ( or the like)
Old 08-01-2021, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

part of rebuilding these engines is the injectors so I wouldn't put a lot of value in what you were told unless he has paper work to back up the story, good luck with the boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.