New motors and drives >

New motors and drives

Notices

New motors and drives

Old 07-20-2021, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New motors and drives

Looking for recommendations…..got twin carb 502’s late 90’s and mercruiser bravos. They are all getting tired. Want an installer who knows what he’s doing and won’t take 8 months to complete. I’d like a little more horse power and a reliable drive. Motors have evidence of block cracks/repairs so I’m not sure I want to rebuild these. Any thoughts? I want reliability more than 100mph. Boats a 36’ Scarab. Looking to take it to someone in October to get the project rolling. From Pennsylvania but don’t mind traveling.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 503 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGames
Looking for recommendations…..got twin carb 502’s late 90’s and mercruiser bravos. They are all getting tired. Want an installer who knows what he’s doing and won’t take 8 months to complete. I’d like a little more horse power and a reliable drive. Motors have evidence of block cracks/repairs so I’m not sure I want to rebuild these. Any thoughts? I want reliability more than 100mph. Boats a 36’ Scarab. Looking to take it to someone in October to get the project rolling. From Pennsylvania but don’t mind traveling.
Good idea for starting to look now because most reputable engine builders will be booked up thru the winter within a few months. Also another issue going right now is the parts availability that you'll be dealing with. With that 36 Scarab your gonna need some big power for 100mph, and if your blocks have been repaired from crack I'd say you should be looking for new blocks and use your accessories you have now because you'll be replacing everything else anyways. Now for the drives, there is no doubt I would go with anything les than Imco SCX uppers with Imco SC lowers at least. Supercharged is the way to get serious HP for what your wanting, but I just sat here and spent 80 to100 grand easily getting you there by the time all the needed upgrades are done correctly. Turn key speed cost some money, but when its done right there's nothing better. I personally use Eddie Young ( Young Performance) in Mt Juliet,Tn and have friends that use him as well. Many others out there like Jeff Harris, Mark Boos and Tyler Crocket are a few big names, It all comes down to who you trust and your budget as well.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

First question is, what's your budget?
Old 07-21-2021, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Budget around $50k. I’d be happy with a mid 80mph setup.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Unfortunately 50k isn’t going to buy the parts, never mind the labor. If reliable is what you want a couple merc racing 520 engine packages with new transom assemblies and xr drives would be worth looking into.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
Unfortunately 50k isn’t going to buy the parts, never mind the labor. If reliable is what you want a couple merc racing 520 engine packages with new transom assemblies and xr drives would be worth looking into.
That would be over 50k and won't get him 80mph.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Aetco engines in Waukegan,IL. sells some nice Marine engine packages
Old 07-22-2021, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
That would be over 50k and won't get him 80mph.
I’m aware, my first line says 50k won’t buy the parts
Old 07-22-2021, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Parts availability is a pain. I dropped my boat off last November, was told March for pick up and picked it up the last week of June due to parts availability. My builder was a big name West Coast guy and he can barely get parts. I was talking to him the other day dialing the setup in and he said he'll order 10 sets of pistons, actually get 3 and 1 will need to be send back as quality control is worse then it's ever been.

Talk to Eddie or Tyler in your area. Keep in mind good work isn't cheap.

Last edited by farmo83; 07-22-2021 at 03:21 PM.