Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454 mag backfiring won’t rev up. >

454 mag backfiring won’t rev up.

Notices

454 mag backfiring won’t rev up.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Pull the valve covers and take a look. Fellow boater had one last year doing the same along with "hard start". Found 3 broken rockers.
The following users liked this post:
SB (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

to me the video sounds like its got a dead hole
SB (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 01:09 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Because of the 112 lob sep it will most likely have water reversion issues with the stock thru prop exhaust.
You think so ?

Manufacturer's Part Number:
11-232-3
Part Type:
Camshafts
Product Line:
COMP Cams Xtreme Marine Camshafts
Summit Racing Part Number:
CCA-11-232-3
UPC:
Cam Style:
Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range:
1,000-5,000
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:
Duration at 050 inch Lift:
218 int./224 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration:
Advertised Exhaust Duration:
Advertised Duration:
262 int./268 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.505 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.515 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.505 int./0.515 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees):
Old 08-12-2021, 05:27 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
You think so ?
After running the numbers, there is a -3.0* degrees of overlap, so actually probably not as long as it has a decent idle rpm.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 146 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Getting back to checking fuel press, Having a metal line from pump to carb does make it more challenging. There's a couple of different options.
1. Cut out section for a "T" and install a gauge there. This is a PITA since you would need flaring tools and fittings. Very easy to screw things up.
2. Remove fuel line from carb and rig up some hose/ fittings to connect end of fuel line to carb with a "T".
Both of these options will most likely mean disturbing the alignment of the fuel line to the carb. Even a small amount of mis-alignment will make threading the fuel line back into carb inlet a PITA and possibly lead to cross-threading the fuel line fitting.
3. Get another metal line, cut out a large section in the middle and use hose to attach the 2 ends. Install a "T" and gauge and make this your "test line". This would be the best option since your original line would remain un-molested and would be easy to re-install once troubleshooting is done.

As a rudimentary test, you could do what my father (auto mech) showed me when I was a kid. Disconnect fuel line at carb and slip hose over flared end of fuel line ( add hose clamp). Place other end of fuel hose in a 16oz Coke bottle (glass) and have someone start eng. Coke bottle should fill rapidly at idle speed (don't rev eng), like less than ~30 secs. Can't determine fuel press this way but it will be obvious if fuel flow is restricted. You should see strong surges of fuel into the bottle.

In regards to option 2, loosening the fitting at fuel pump may allow the metal fuel line to be rotated slightly to help avoid bending the the fuel line too much.
make a temp replacement/test line out of brass barbed fitting and rubber hose.
SB (08-13-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you update your valve springs when you changed your Cam? This cam does require stronger springs and that backfire could be from some valve float along with a lack of fuel on the secondary's. You could try bumping the jetting on the secondary's up too. I am running the exact same cam in mine and it runs great. I am running 4" through hull exhaust however.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I haven’t responded lately, been working a lot and it’s been raining every day for almost the past week so I haven’t worked on it in a few days. But...
-no dead cylinders all have 185 psi
-pulled valve covers before, no lost lobes, no broken springs, no broken rockers.
-I do have full roller aluminum rockers, had to put valve cover spacers on to make them fit. They don’t hit cover now.
-pulled line at carb to verify it was getting fuel, with ignition off I jumped the relay to turn it over, it pulses out pretty hard. Didn’t fill up a bottle, but from that it looks healthy.
-I got a whole timing set with the cam, came with new springs. I’m not sure valves would float at 2300 rpm even if they were stock.
-It had a pamphlet on different ways to install the small timing gear on the crank, I did not advance or retard, just set to zero. Someone not on here asked that.

I bought a plastic piston stop tool to verify TDC, going to check that as soon as it stops raining.

Stupid question but on a Quadrajet how do you change jetting on the secondarys? It’s just the secondary metering rods and hangers correct? I didn’t see any secondary jets when I went through it. I did change primary jets from 68 to 70 before I started. I have multiple sets of secondary hangers and rods. But the Carb rebuild kit said to adjust secondary’s you bend the hangers, not sure how I feel about that.

Last edited by Reg119; 08-19-2021 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 146 Likes on 80 Posts

Good compression, accurate cam timing, sounds like the "air pump" is working. The fuel portion of the equation is somewhat crossed off by swapping the carb and checking fuel pressure and volume . I'm curious about the ignition box, in my pea brain it seems like it's happening at the exact same rpm. Can you borrow a HEI distributor ( or even a points style) to eliminate the possibility of inaccurate spark ?
Old 08-19-2021, 06:27 AM
SB
Registered

Increase sec jetting by using smaller (thinner) metering rods.

i would suggest reading articles or getting s book on the subject.
Helmwurst (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 06:34 AM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by Reg119
-I got a whole timing set with the cam, came with new springs. I’m not sure valves would float at 2300 rpm even if they were stock.
-It had a pamphlet on different ways to install the small timing gear on the crank, I did not advance or retard, just set to zero
Guy in the other current thread thought he installed his mukti way timing set correctly at 0 until his motor like crap too……,

Nit saying it’s your problem. Just mentioning it.
liberator221 (08-19-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.