Upgrading sea pump, >

Upgrading sea pump,

Notices

Upgrading sea pump,

Old 09-22-2021, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading sea pump,

Hello all I have 525SC with the fuel pump mounted on the the sea pump, I converted to electric fuel pump and Question now is if I capped the fuel pump do I still need to put oil in that reservoir, And also is there a sea pump that will fit in that spot without the fuel pump adapter mount on it?

Last edited by Nfast; 09-22-2021 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Hardin makes a unit without the fuel pump portion. I would put gear lube in and get a fuel pump block off plate and call it a day.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThisIsLivin:
the deep (09-23-2021), TomZ (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 02:01 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Yes, it still needs lube, but you should really not need to change it much. It will not get fuel diluted like when it had fuel mounted.
I believe you could use a seapump from a Mark IV engine instead https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/.../31808/961/230
Old 09-23-2021, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so only reason I'm thinking about changing it is because I capped it off completely rebuilt everything new Bearings,impeller, seals, and there's water coming out of the weap hole apparently and then I notice therss a puddle of oil underneath it coming out so I think I'm just gonna do away with it altogether and get the gen 4 and be done with it , thanks guys
Old 09-23-2021, 08:03 AM
Charter Member #1472
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i left my mechanical fuel pump mounted, this way if my electric pump stops working i can swap the fuel lines and still get home under my own power.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:50 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Nfast
so only reason I'm thinking about changing it is because I capped it off completely rebuilt everything new Bearings,impeller, seals, and there's water coming out of the weap hole apparently and then I notice therss a puddle of oil underneath it coming out so I think I'm just gonna do away with it altogether and get the gen 4 and be done with it , thanks guys
The front seal on the shaft is leaking if there is water coming out of the weep hole. Had the same thing happen twice with my rebuilt Gen IV pump (w/o) fuel pump. Finally just bought a new OEM Merc/QS one from Michigan Motorz. They had them in stock for a lower price when even Merc showed backordered.

Looking at diagrams, it looks like you should have a pressed on pulley. The Mark IV engine uses a bolt on pulley, so you would need to find the correct depth pulley to go that route. You may be able to use a Gen VI pump and press on you pulley, but I am not 100% sure that will work either.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nfast
Pretty sure the mount is different, but is should work. Be sure it lines up with the pulleys.