Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
how do I make my 454/502 mag boat "faster" ???? >

how do I make my 454/502 mag boat "faster" ????

Notices

how do I make my 454/502 mag boat "faster" ????

Old 10-05-2021, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Found a 502 with max power 5600rpm I had run into pipemax:

@ 5800 RPM
- Induction System Tuned Lengths = ( Cylinder Head Port + Manifold Runner )

1st Harmonic= 35.485' (usually this Length is never used)
2nd Harmonic= 20.140' (some Sprint Engines and Factory OEM's w/Injectors)
3rd Harmonic= 14.061' (ProStock or Comp SheetMetal Intake)
4th Harmonic= 11.067' (Single-plane Intakes , less Torque)
5th Harmonic= 8.979' (Torque is reduced, even though Tuned Length)
6th Harmonic= 7.554' (Torque is reduced, even though Tuned Length)
7th Harmonic= 6.520' (Torque is greatly reduced, even though Tuned Length)
8th Harmonic= 5.734' (Torque is greatly reduced, even though Tuned Length)
Note> 2nd and 3rd Harmonics typically create the most Peak Torque
4th Harmonic is used to package Induction System underneath Hood
Plenum Runner Minimum Recommended Entry Area = 2.865 to 3.223 Sq.Inch
Plenum Runner Average Recommended Entry Area = 3.294 Sq.Inch
Plenum Runner Maximum Recommended Entry Area = 3.365to 3.981 Sq.Inch
Minimum Plenum Volume CC = 1113.7 [typically for Single-Plane Intakes]
Minimum Plenum Volume CID= 68.0 [typically forSingle-Plane Intakes]
Maximum Plenum Volume CC = 8229.2 [typically for Tunnel Ram Intakes]
Maximum Plenum Volume CID= 502.2 [typically forTunnel Ram Intakes]
Lots of choices here, but can we come up with a preferred runner length say for 500HP, 550, or 600HP? From what I have read here its runner length, throttle body, tuning if you want to up the cam. Well, the tuning and throttle body are probably best done by someone in that niche, but the manifold could be cut down locally by anyone with a mill. Knowing how much to cut the runners down would be a great addition to this highly informative thread..
Old 10-05-2021, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
Lots of choices here, but can we come up with a preferred runner length say for 500HP, 550, or 600HP? From what I have read here its runner length, throttle body, tuning if you want to up the cam. Well, the tuning and throttle body are probably best done by someone in that niche, but the manifold could be cut down locally by anyone with a mill. Knowing how much to cut the runners down would be a great addition to this highly informative thread..
Ive posted this in other threads but for most part: IF you cut the runners to meet the floor and cut the divider 1 1/2' AND blend it all nice, you can get a typical cammed 502 to peak about 5600 and a 454 to peak about 5800 with worked iron heads or decent aluminum heads, bored out TB. IF you cut top of runners below plenum floor, i feel you will create a ledge/disruption/disturbance in flow and IF you cut divider much more than 1.5" you will have a hard time radiusing the edges when you do your hand finishing so its not like you can shorten them more easily so not like you can take 4 or 6" off lower intake, physically impossible. You lose torque in the sub 3200 range and you move hp peak up.
Rough mill pic is one partially completed, I angle mill and cut taper on divider and all openings so there less hand grinding. Second pic is first MPI intake I ever modded, Ive since cut dividers much more BUT I made over 650 HP with THAT intake NA and well over a 1000 blown years ago

Old 10-05-2021, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CarreraHector

Hey Smitty do you have a shop? Sounds like you know your 502 MPI's like the back of your hands my friend. I'm looking for someone to rebuild both of mine and are more power as they have 600+ hours on them.
I'm a paid member but NOT a paid advertiser, so I cant self promote my business on here but you CAN PM me with any questions, Smitty
Old 10-05-2021, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I toasted a 454 mag mpi in one of my boats and decided to build a mild 540 for it. After tuning, it made 565hp with the stock intake. I got one of the extrude honed intakes from ASM and had the throttle body bored out, made over 600 with no changes. I know that i left 30hp on the table by using the MPI setup, but it is what I had at the time and it worked great. I was also able to find a slightly larger oil cooler that fit in the stock location that had 1/2"npt fittings. Made all new oil lines with -8 hose. Worked out well.
Although a open plenum intake like a vic jr will make more hp than a modded long runner mpi, it will never make more midrange tq all things being equal on most 502s and smaller, at a certain point the runner size becomes a big restriction though on these mpi intakes