heavy oil spill from front crank seal

Notices

heavy oil spill from front crank seal

Old 11-26-2021, 05:24 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heavy oil spill from front crank seal

after realizing a leakage in the front area of my 540 port engine, I first changed the crank seal.
Even though the sealing surface on the vibration damper looked pretty good I installed a repair sleeve # 16205 from Felpro.
As the leakage did not stop I measured the crankcase cover pressure on both engines at several load steps.
Pressure that I measured was fine, less than 1 inch (positive) water column at full load on port engine. Starboard engine (with much more running hours) showed significant higher crankcase pressure but without any oil leakage.
Vibration damper is not worn out and does not stagger.
As one can see on the video, the oil spill starts at higher engine speed (idling > 3000 rpm).
Oil pressure readings are not precise enough for further hints.
Anyway I need to remove the timing cover in order to check the crankcase front area for any possible cracks originated from the lube oil circuit, furthermore if the plugs from the lifter galley are still in place.
Any other ideas ?

Thanks

Joe

Attached Files
File Type: avi
VID_20211126_135900.avi (3.91 MB, 131 views)
Old 11-27-2021, 01:37 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 897 Likes on 445 Posts

That's a huge leak. How did the old seal look when you took it out??
Could there be a crack in the timing cover??
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

My timing cover had a hole (rust) just under the seal that did t go away after several seal changes. I would pull the cover
articfriends (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Oil pressure should really not be a concern. The seal is not subject to engine oil pressure, only splash oil. That is a huge leak and hopefully will be easy to find once you pull the cover. Are you sure it isnt coming from the front of the oil pan ?
payuppsucker (11-27-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 151 Posts

thinking bottom of the timing cover.the oil pan gasket flange is spot welded on,,bet one of the spot welds has failed/leaking.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:53 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sailtexas186548 View Post
My timing cover had a hole (rust) just under the seal that did t go away after several seal changes. I would pull the cover
boat was moved this weekend into winter storage hall, so I was unable to test run the vibration damper dummy that I was preparing for further diagnosis of the issue.
Anyway after removal of the timing cover, a damaged seal could be detected on the underside of the cover. The middle rubber pin of the seal was sheared off as well and left the small position boring open. During replacement of the crank seal I have obviously overseen that tiny hole (see attached photo).