Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Good compression on 8, High leakdown on 1 cyl >

Good compression on 8, High leakdown on 1 cyl

Notices

Good compression on 8, High leakdown on 1 cyl

Old 01-30-2022, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

sounds like reversion has been an issue.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 320 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
It was cyl 4 on one motor and 6 on the other. so, interesting that it's on the same side of each motor, but not sure what to infer from that.
Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if boats that haven't been drained of water in the engine have a problem with inclines? I know 1 PWC in particular that the water inside the exhaust for cooling rubber hoses, would run back and into the front cyl if you didn't blow the water out and backed the ski down a hill.

In my situation, I pull the drain plug from the bilge, but I have to back the trailer down a decent hill to where I park it, and normally drain the pipes when not being used for a few days. (fresh water)

Do I need to worry about water from the block filling the headers and running back into the exhaust? (CMI Fusion headers) My guess is no since the engine pulses aren't sucking the water backwards, but figured it's a good time to ask. Thanks guys..
Old 02-06-2022, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 320 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
sounds like reversion has been an issue.
In my case it was.

Engine builder removed the heads and a couple valve seats were pitted pretty good. (bought a used engine, ran for 1 season and already in for complete rebuild. )

HP 500 carb. Engine had CMI headers on it in the video the seller sent me. Pits look to have been there for some time. I'm running CMI Fusion headers but was wondering if me backing the boat down a hill had something to do with the water intrusion. (se previous post ^^^^^)