Engine angle >

Engine angle

Notices

Engine angle

Old 02-05-2022, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine angle

I’m doing a complete overhaul on my 99’ Prototype aka Joker. I’m installing the engine (502) with a Hardin marine tubular engine mount. The boat came with a 1/4” plate that was all rusted out. The tubular mounts a bit different and I have it coming off of aluminum angle mounted to the inside of the stringers. The back sits on the bravo transom plate. I measured and re measured everything and according to my measurements the engine sits in the right spot. Looking at it it seems to tilt downward on the front of the engine. How would one go about setting up the correct engine angle front to back. Should it be level with the keel?
Old 02-06-2022, 03:34 AM
Registered

Received 833 Likes on 353 Posts

You need an alignment tool. The alignment tool is basically a rod that slides in through the gimbal bearing into the engine coupler making sure both are in alignment. Lots of threads covering this already but in short, if setting a new motor or changing location etc, bolt the rear of the motor to the transom assembly with the front still suspended. Lower or raise the front until the alignment tool slides in and out with almost no resistance. Turn motor over 180 degrees and check again. Once you find that g-spot then you’d mark your new angle mounts on the stringers and drill them, or mark angles to motor mount and drill angles. Be patient when checking the alignment, can be a tedious process.

if you do a search you’ll find lots of threads.