TRS experts???? >

TRS experts????

Notices

TRS experts????

Old 11-23-2002, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default TRS experts????

I need to replace the drive and driven gears in a rt hand lower TRS drive. If I replace with new gears, will I have to reshim the entire unit and if I do need to reshim, will I have to reshim the upper also.

What are my chances for me to get away with just installing a new gear set?

Thanks, Kurt.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:24 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

E-mail [email protected]
He is pretty good at the TRS and has rebuilt a few in his lifetime.
A former marina owner and the owner of a 1977 TRS equiped Martini with big power, he can answer that question and more.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Biggus/Kurt,

Call "Doctor Dave" (OSO board name) he has done a several TRS's and they live. He runs TRS on his own 35' Cig with 557" superchargers and they live---he knows about the point that they break too. He did "Pure Adrenaline's" (Doug) TRS's after Doug had his drives rebuilt by two different shops and they both broke within like about 4-6 hours! He finally took them to Doc Dave and they have been living for 58 hours! He had a great summer with no breakages!

Doctor Daves number is: 269-944-0214
Old 11-25-2002, 06:36 AM
NEVRENUFF

Yo Kurt,

Does this mean that we are not doing any welding?

Hows the sledding?

We are thinking about coming up during Thanksgivng .

You going to be around?

Paul

Old 11-25-2002, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Paul, yes, I would like to try welding the case. I have the manual and I think that I can get away with installing a lower gear set.

Did a little sledding last week, nothing major.

We will be home, look us up!

PS, how was the ride home for your brother. Did he blow chunks????

Kurt.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:13 AM
NEVRENUFF

Hey Kurt,

Yeah man, We didn't even make it off of Rt 114 before he had me pull over!!!

The ride home was from Hell!!

Just past exit 6, we hit black ice big time! I was doing about 75 when a gust of wind hit the truck and kicked it sideways. I managed to get it pointed straight again after 3-4 major league swings of the ass end and needless to say, I nearly had to change my underwear!

Not 2 miles after that, I started seeing cars off the road everywhere! It was some really bad **** because it just snuck up on everybody!

Took 3 hours to get home and I probably saw 25 cars off the road and another 10-15 sets of tracks into the median.

Hoping for decent weather over Thanksgiving. I wanted to try and catch up with John Thompson to get my building permit. Do you know what the town hall schedule is over the holiday? Are they open on Friday?

Paul

Old 11-25-2002, 07:27 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default I would like to know also

Ok, I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I have rebuilt a few other drives and replaced the gears and all the tolerences were correct.

I have also rebuilt both of my TRS drives over the past year and a half without shimming and they have been running fine (chucked a tooth on the pinion gear). I did not re-shim the lower gears because I could not get a hold of the tools and needed to be running for the weekend.

Now that it is winter I have time to tear them down and re-shim if it is really needed. Otherwise I am going to change the oil and go boating.

Also, someone told me to solid shim the lower instead of using the crush colar. I guess I was a little embarrassed because I have rebuilt a crap load of Alpha drives and about a dozen bravos, and did not want ask what he meant. Does anyone know? My source said solid shimming the lower is a must for high HP applications.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:03 PM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Panther I am not an expert, But I believe that on a right hand TRS drive subjected to high horsepower, the thrust load would compress the the crush ring and open up the clearance on the lower gear set.What do the experianced drive builders have to say?
Old 11-25-2002, 08:45 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

The load ring , or crush ring locates the rear bearing carrier. Regardless of which way the drive turns the thrust load is carried by the bearing closest to the front of the drive (at least while going forward). The carrier cannot move back, it is held by the cover nut.

Shimming it solid involves the use of solid shims to limit the forward movement of the bearing carrrier. As you tighten the cover nut, the bearing carrier is pushed froward. This applies preload to the 2 tapered bearings. If using the load ring, when the proper preload is reached, you stop tightning. If using solid shims, you take it apart a couple of times until the shim stops the carrier at the correct preload.

We have done it both ways and I have not seen a differance in the end result.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:28 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default thanks

Mark,

Thanks for your input.

How about re-shimming when replacing the pinion and drive gear's? As long as you retain the old shims, do you need to shim again?

I have gotten away with this on Alpha drives many times, but I am not sure if it is ok on TRS? This past summer I blew a pinion gear and didn't have the tools to check everything so I just put it back together, do you think it is out of spec?

I did the same thing on another drive about a year and a half ago and everything seems ok. I have about 75 hrs on it since rebuild.

Quick Reply: TRS experts????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.