Bravo One water impeller >

Bravo One water impeller

Notices

Bravo One water impeller

Old 05-12-2022, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bravo One water impeller

I know that the Alpha One operates with a water impeller in the outdrive.

Does the Bravo One also have an impeller in the drive in addition to the water impeller pump mounted on the engine? What is drawing the water up from the drive to the motor? Is it by just suction from the engine mounted pump?
Old 05-12-2022, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mariah212Z View Post
I know that the Alpha One operates with a water impeller in the outdrive.

Does the Bravo One also have an impeller in the drive in addition to the water impeller pump mounted on the engine? What is drawing the water up from the drive to the motor? Is it by just suction from the engine mounted pump?
You are correct, just the one on the engine. Its crazy how they work, alot of good videos on youtube.

Old 05-12-2022, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts

No a Bravo does not have a impeller in the drive, and neither Alpha nor any other boat impeller "sucks".
The impeller moves water from one side to the other. This is a reason you cannot run a drive in a bucket or drum. Some do this with the Alpha but even then the impeller is running somewhat dry.

Only motor which can be run from a bucket is the outboard

When the boat is in the water, the drive is submerged enough to bring the water to the impeller. When moving the intake holes on the drive are angled forward to force the water to the impeller
Old 05-12-2022, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge View Post
No a Bravo does not have a impeller in the drive, and neither Alpha nor any other boat impeller "sucks".
The impeller moves water from one side to the other. This is a reason you cannot run a drive in a bucket or drum. Some do this with the Alpha but even then the impeller is running somewhat dry.

When the boat is in the water, the drive is submerged enough to bring the water to the impeller. When moving the intake holes on the drive are angled forward to force the water to the impeller
The above video clearly shows otherwise. Put your hand over the intake side of a Bravo 1 pump and rotate it. Submersion depth of intake holes and forward motion of boat only enhance pump flow but are not requirements.

Old 05-12-2022, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 501 Likes on 242 Posts

most Mercury outboards use nearly an identical pump to an alpha. The pumps absolutely do have suction and will draw from a bucket etc. Many boats have the water pump above the water line.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 358 Likes on 155 Posts

Agree with above. An automotive water pump, or the circulating water pumps on the front of our engines, have metal impellers that do not create a seal to the pump body. This type of water pump is what AllDodge is referring to, this sort of pump does not create suction or pressure. Instead, they simply create flow.

The rubber impellers in a tight-tolerance housing, create a seal to the housing, allowing for the creation of negative pressure (suction).
The following users liked this post:
Ryan00TJ (05-13-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

My pumps create suction as soon as the engines start I can see the water going through the intercooler dumps as soon as they light up .
Old 05-13-2022, 11:05 AM
Registered

Default Bravo One water impeller

Wait. When a boat is in the water and drive submerged, does the water reach the engine mounted pump? I would think the water in the drive would be lower that the impeller meaning there is suction involved.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts

Wait. When a boat is in the water and drive submerged, does the water reach the engine mounted pump? I would think the water in the drive would be lower that the impeller meaning there is suction involved.
With boat in the water remove the hose going to the pump

While there is some its very little suction. There is all kinds of threads here where folks have trouble getting a slightly used impeller to pump. Ya'll have your opinions and I have mine, they don't agree but what else is new.

Anyone with a Bravo, with boat on the hard put your drive in a bucket. Fire it up and see how long your impeller last, I'll wait
Old 05-13-2022, 11:58 AM
Registered

Default Bravo One water impe

With boat in the water remove the hose going to the pump

While there is some its very little suction. There is all kinds of threads here where folks have trouble getting a slightly used impeller to pump. Ya'll have your opinions and I have mine, they don't agree but what else is new.

Anyone with a Bravo, with boat on the hard put your drive in a bucket. Fire it up and see how long your impeller last, I'll wait
Remember, when you back your boat into the lake, your drive is submerged but your water impeller pump on the motor still is above the water level line. When you start the motor , it take a bit of time for the water to exit the exhaust.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.