Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need some ideas - port engine noise >

Need some ideas - port engine noise

Notices

Need some ideas - port engine noise

Old 06-18-2022, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 172 Likes on 103 Posts

I would think if one of those monsters got loose enough to shift, you would feel it all thru the boat. Good to hear you got them secure.

Kinda doubt you could hear an electrical/ign pop with engs running, hatch closed plus the wind noise. If it was electrical and that loud, there should be evidence.

When you mentioned new fuel pumps, it reminded me of when I got my current boat and prev owner had recently replaced the fuel pumps (and a bunch of other stuff). Fuel press was intermittently low causing an intermittent lean condition and "pops" thru the intake..Eventually,,, found tiny shards of teflon tape inside the fuel pumps. They were not allowing the check-valves to seat and causing low output press.

Got fuel press gauges on the fuel lines now and check them every time I open the hatch.

If it were me, I'd at least check the fuel press at idle before putting a heavy load on it again. Lean conditions have destroyed many many engines.
The following users liked this post:
SB (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 05:49 PM
SB
Registered

Received 2,161 Likes on 927 Posts

Good advice ^^^*
Further tound table talking….

can’t tell you how many times i’ve jumped someones bsttery, gone on a test drive ‘for something else’ and then use trim or tabs and ‘pop, pop, pop, pop’ like firecrackers and engine slows down. Bad battery (not low in charge, but bad, all done, no bueno) sucks sll the juice from alternator leaves barely enough for ignition but nothing else.
Padraig (06-20-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 06:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 436 Likes on 217 Posts

That’s a great thought on it leaning out. Now that I think about it I ran about 10 miles today at 27-2800 but when it popped up to 30-3100 I started having the issue. I’m going to investigate fuel side tomorrow…….
Old 06-18-2022, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 102 Posts

When in doubt, just turn up the stereo!
Drives me nuts tracking down stuff like that.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 828 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by SB View Post
Rookie: i’ve had no luck with Optimas either. Red, yellow, blue. Prob 30-50 of them betw me, friends, cust’s. ??? Moved on from them avout 15 yrs ago. They weten’t that good ‘back then’ either. Not many battery problems since getting away ftom them, even walmarts have been good. Lol.
Yeah, I swear by the Walmart EverStart Maxx marine 29's. (20yrs use) The Optimas were used in my solar system and friends boats. They were all bought at cost when my friends worked at JCI. Funny things is the EverStart batteries are also made by JCI. I know 2 different technologies.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
Yeah, I swear by the Walmart EverStart Maxx marine 29's. (20yrs use) The Optimas were used in my solar system and friends boats. They were all bought at cost when my friends worked at JCI. Funny things is the EverStart batteries are also made by JCI. I know 2 different technologies.
JCI, Johnson Controls??
Old 06-19-2022, 06:02 AM
Registered

Received 531 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuckonstupid View Post
JCI, Johnson Controls??
Probably. They make a LOT of different branded batteries out there. I think Exide and Deka are the other manufacturers, that's about it.
Stuckonstupid (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Probably. They make a LOT of different branded batteries out there. I think Exide and Deka are the other manufacturers, that's about it.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 436 Likes on 217 Posts

Alright - oreilys had a fuel pressure gauge. Installed after regulator 6 lbs of pressure.

New Battery installed.

engine bolted down!

checked fuel filter, not even a drop of water. I did notice it was “hand tight” at best. Wonder if some air was nearing in. Doesn’t seem likely though.

going to go give it the smoke test….

strike that. Probably 30 mph winds here. I don’t feel like dealing with that. Forecast for 5mph tomorrow. Seems like that’s better test weather….

Last edited by seafordguy; 06-19-2022 at 12:42 PM.
SB (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 172 Likes on 103 Posts

Fuel pressure is OK, I'd personally like to see it a bit higher (i.e.7.5 psi) if it's adjustable. The fuel pressure is much more critical at higher power levels.

If still no joy tomorrow, could try swapping carbs between engs to rule that out. Quick, easy, free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.