Intake manifold recommendations - >

Intake manifold recommendations -

Notices

Intake manifold recommendations -

Old 07-30-2022, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Intake manifold recommendations -

I’ve learned so much from everybody here, it has been awesome. If you’ve been following me at all I’ve got a 496 stroker putting out about 670 torque 540ish hp. I need an intake manifold. what’s gonna work with it? I’ve come to the conclusion that I might want to look at dart or vraylar. It does need to be a high-rise intake manifold. research looks like a high rise Will give the motor motor a bit cooler charge. Single plane or dual plane I don’t think matters a whole lot, it does look like a dual plane will give you a bit more torque with a minimal horsepower loss. I bought at 6-7k feet. Obviously the more Air it flows the better. I’ll be sticking on probably a Holly 850 Marine carb on it
Old 07-30-2022, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

540 hp at what rpm?
Old 07-30-2022, 01:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
540 hp at what rpm?
4000-4500

670ft/lb at 3500
Old 07-30-2022, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Searching your elgin cam from other post, I see a couple differemt 496's offered with about identical numbers with the cam you listed, does this have procomp square exhaust port heads and no name brand stainless roller rockers like the others Im seeing? IF so, keep in mind there are quite a few storys of the valve seats coming loose in these heads and destroying engines, since thats a flat tappet hyd lifter cam be VERY careful to break the cam in and ALWAYS use a high zinc oil.
Since peak hp on the others appears to be 5400 rpms, I would tell you NOT to use a vic jr open plenum or ever use a dart open plenum as they will kill off a bunch of that advertised tq and never rpm high enough to ever out hp a good dual plane. A Edelbrock performer rpm or air gap version of one with 1 or 2 " carb spacer kicks a vic jr open plenums ass on my dyno from 2500 to 5000 by a obscene amount when it comes to torque, Smitty
The following users liked this post:
1983ScarabIII (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 02:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Searching your elgin cam from other post, I see a couple differemt 496's offered with about identical numbers with the cam you listed, does this have procomp square exhaust port heads and no name brand stainless roller rockers like the others Im seeing? IF so, keep in mind there are quite a few storys of the valve seats coming loose in these heads and destroying engines, since thats a flat tappet hyd lifter cam be VERY careful to break the cam in and ALWAYS use a high zinc oil.
Since peak hp on the others appears to be 5400 rpms, I would tell you NOT to use a vic jr open plenum or ever use a dart open plenum as they will kill off a bunch of that advertised tq and never rpm high enough to ever out hp a good dual plane. A Edelbrock performer rpm or air gap version of one with 1 or 2 " carb spacer kicks a vic jr open plenums ass on my dyno from 2500 to 5000 by a obscene amount when it comes to torque, Smitty
very good to know. Would you suggest I switch heads, valves, ….both?

im always careful with engine/cam break in.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Batmeat
very good to know. Would you suggest I switch heads, valves, ….both?

im always careful with engine/cam break in.
Im noit sure what to do for heads as there is virtually nothing a guy can buy at moment. The procomp heads have had issues with seats falling out, I personally know someone that tried to use them and they didnt last very long, if they have THEIR valves in them, I would NOT recommend running them in a boat, when they are sold retail for 1000 a pair with valves, springs, retainers, locks etc I picture the cheapeast valves known to man, springs, etc. A guy came by my shop with the carnage from a 632 blueprint racing engines recently, he had a guidelplate that had name "shiloh" on it that was thinner then the cheapeast stock ones i ever seen , not sure what happened but he broke a guide plate, wadded up a pushrod etc, had a 5600 rpm rev limiter, had 3 hrs run time total. I found it hard to beileve theyd use such junk in a 632 BUT, crate engines that are cheap are "price " point built with cheapest garbage their is, Smitty
the guy I know that recently had a procomp bbc head fall apart either broke a valve , stuck a valve or seat came loose, was in first 50 miles on a street car. Valve seat was out of head, valve snapped off, piston broke, cylinder destroyed, typical carnage!
Old 07-30-2022, 02:53 PM
Registered

Maybe I’ll hold off finishing the build then until the end of the season and keep my eyes open for some different heads.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Ron Sprol, had some heads in stock might check with him

Home
articfriends (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes i have Brodix heads in stock.
Oval
320 Dragon Slayer
340 Race Rite
365 Dragon Slayer
articfriends (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 09:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sporl Performance
Yes i have Brodix heads in stock.
Oval
320 Dragon Slayer
340 Race Rite
365 Dragon Slayer
awesome! Brodix makes a great product. My ports are rectangular though and exhaust are D ports.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.