Notices

Plugs

Old 09-23-2022, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by 540Fever
This is a DUI7000, new MSD wires were installed as well. Not sure on the jets since I still haven't received the build sheet.

Shop just text me back and said: "if the plugs look like this after normal boating then they're fine. It's a carburetor with a big plenum."
If that`s aluminum peppered on the plugs like SB said then it`s not so fine.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:40 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I find a spark plug magnifier is a great tool to see the plug but I still don`t know what I`m looking at .
I thought the ground strap tells the timing story ...
Yup. Pretty much.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm taking the boat to the shop tomorrow to have them check timing - not sure if they'll just check it or have me leave it. Would be nice to just check it and save me anouther hour and a half roundtrip. Once timing is checked/confirmed, I'm going to put a new set of plugs in and see how it runs. Shop said the plugs look fine and attributed the plugs to a large plenum and dominator.

On another note, kicking around the idea of a new set of heads and cam over the winter. Kind of wish I would've just ponied up when I had the motor out. I have maybe 10 hours on it now and a fresh set of Dart 310's if anyone is looking I was looking at the AFR 335 CNCs and realized Tony is no longer with AFR and started up his own company. He is a 340 full CNC (MMS 340) marine head I'm going to talk with him about today. I also have another shop in mind for this work.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I did a compression test today. All cylinders look great 150-153 across the board.

Dropped the boat off today. He’s going to check timing and mess around with the advance. Plan is to swap this DUI unit out over the winter with an MSD. I’m going to put the BKR6ES plugs back in it instead of the 3924s.

hope to get it out this weekend if the wife let’s me 😂

Last edited by 540Fever; 09-27-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Well it looks like the limiter bushings we’re missing which caused the erratic timing. This was the same disti I pulled off the old setup so he just put it back on without going through it. Now full advance is 34*.

I also swapped plugs to the BKR6ES-11. First impression is great. Cold start / idle is night and day.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hope y’all are doing good! Appreciated all the input so wanted to let you know where I’m at.

As previously mentioned, timing is now at 34*. Didn’t seem to lose any power considering it was at 40* before.

I ordered a new in box Mercury 28p Bravo1 LH that came in Friday. Swapped it out in place of the 26p and went for a test run this morning. 4 hours of driving for 30 minutes of boating but totally worth it 😎

it came on plane great. Just as good or maybe even better than the 26.

RPMs dropped from 5800 > 5400 which is great. I’m running the exact same MPH @ 72.

If I run those numbers through a slip calculator with my 1.5 ratio, interestingly enough I’m seeing the same 25% slip with both props, 26 and 28. Just at a lower RPM, which I’ll take.

Scratching my head on the slip numbers still. Fair enough to say the prop is ruled out. Not sure if this IMCO lower -0 standard height is hurting anything… the hull looks pretty good overall. There is some bad gel coat patch work right near the step on starboard side. I want to get that cleaned up but don’t think it’s the culprit.