Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone else convert to a closed cooling system ??? >

Anyone else convert to a closed cooling system ???

Notices

Anyone else convert to a closed cooling system ???

Old 10-07-2022, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I ran distilled water only in mine when I changed over. I changed it about 4 times before putting dexcool in. 502 mag mpi . It’s now a carbed 540 and still using the same system.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by smokediver
I ran distilled water only in mine when I changed over. I changed it about 4 times before putting dexcool in. 502 mag mpi . It’s now a carbed 540 and still using the same system.
I seem to recall I did something similar.

Drained block, filled with distilled water with no thermostat, ran it and drained it again. Repeated that exercise a couple times. Then filled with 50/50 AF/Distilled water. I used the green stuff because that's what CP Performance told my to use and it was their kit.

Mine are 800hp 565's - greatest money I ever spent on a boat going to Closed cooling. Temps are unbelievably consistent and never climb over 150*
The following 2 users liked this post by seafordguy:
smokediver (10-08-2022), Sydwayz (10-10-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 208 Posts

greatest money I ever spent on a boat going to Closed cooling
I did on my VP 8.1GXI because it just never ran right with the raw water cooling. The consistent temps went a long way to sorting out its usability issues. In the end, the stock Volvo tune was just not very good on that motor.
Old 10-09-2022, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Closed cooling on fresh water lake. Running a 160 stat compared to a 180 stat. Any advantage bumping to a 180? Eng. 406 cubes Dart Block.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 116 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I seem to recall I did something similar.

Drained block, filled with distilled water with no thermostat, ran it and drained it again. Repeated that exercise a couple times. Then filled with 50/50 AF/Distilled water. I used the green stuff because that's what CP Performance told my to use and it was their kit.

Mine are 800hp 565's - greatest money I ever spent on a boat going to Closed cooling. Temps are unbelievably consistent and never climb over 150*
Ive run mine a few times on regular chlorinated city tap water and it seems to stay pretty clean.
I fill a 110gal tub with water and lower the drive into it. Works better than any muffs ive used and doesnt overpressure anything. My tap water is probably 75psi.

Really looking forward to closed cooling and actual antifreeze in the engine.
Estimated ship date on the system is 10/31... so now we wait.

Old 10-09-2022, 12:52 PM
Registered

I assume this blue fitting is to flush the current system ? (never had anything VP before)

Old 10-10-2022, 05:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by techman
In the end, the stock Volvo tune was just not very good on that motor.
This is probably the most frustrating part of my VP ownership... the lack of aftermarket support and tuning options. Mine has what I believe is "California emissions tuning" which I'm sure makes it run sub-par and lean.
Maybe I will bump the fuel pressure up a few PSI. It's about the only thing I can tamper with. (the regulator is adjustable.)
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else convert to a closed cooling system ???-20221010_062012.jpg  
Old 10-10-2022, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art
This is probably the most frustrating part of my VP ownership... the lack of aftermarket support and tuning options. Mine has what I believe is "California emissions tuning" which I'm sure makes it run sub-par and lean.
Maybe I will bump the fuel pressure up a few PSI. It's about the only thing I can tamper with. (the regulator is adjustable.)
My Merc 496 MAG had the same sticker on it.