To have a box or not to have a box.... >

To have a box or not to have a box....

Notices

To have a box or not to have a box....

Old 10-12-2022, 08:10 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts
Default To have a box or not to have a box....

So with winter coming comes all the thoughts of what to do with the boat....thanks to everyone in my other threads about issues I will be resolving this winter and I have been thinking since I started working on this boat about an extension box.

Little back story...when this boat was stock it had a 525sc and a standard bravo....anything in mid range or even top end I would get a gnarly annoying porpoise that I hated. Switched to an XR and a -2 sportmaster lower and the porpoise issue was solved. Boat still planes great and handles well.

Now that I've upped the power substantially...I'm wondering if I would benefit from a box that could get the drive up and back a little further. It's no secret that heats are bow heavy and carrying the bow up on the pad is tough..am I wrong in thinking that a box will help with that issue as well like a big cantilever on the back of the boat?

Just thinking as the motor is coming out and the gimbal housing is also coming out this winter anyway so adding a box wouldn't be difficult...just add some longer brackets for my steering arms and a new input shaft and I'd be done essentially.....

Boat is a 97 straight bottom nordic heat with a 1000 hp blower motor and an IMCO scx upper with the same -2 sportmaster lower currently.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 832 Likes on 352 Posts

Won’t know until you try!

By steering arms you referring to mounts for the hydraulic cylinders right?
Old 10-12-2022, 12:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

Yes that's correct. I have dual ram full hydraulic now which are mounted on the transom. Best way obviously would be to mount them to the box but considering I already have them mounted to the transom I might make something for brackets if I end up running one...or just leave the brackets for now and if it works, pull them next winter and fill the transom in.