Hydraulic Helms >

Hydraulic Helms

Notices

Hydraulic Helms

Old 01-22-2023, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Hydraulic Helms

What the difference between a hydraulic helm for an IO vs an OB? Found a used SeaStar SKU:HH5779-3 / UPC:HH57793. It's listed as OB some places and universal others. I want to add external steering to an IO. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Typically an I/O is going to have a power steering pump mounted to the engine whereas an OB will not. The OB helm acts as the pump whereas the I/O does not.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

This may help.

Old 01-22-2023, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

you need to match the volume/flow of the helm with the cylinders and there are a lot of variables... you could get it right or end up with too many turns lock to lock and insensitive vague steering or not enough and twitchy steering.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
you need to match the volume/flow of the helm with the cylinders and there are a lot of variables... you could get it right or end up with too many turns lock to lock and insensitive vague steering or not enough and twitchy steering.
That's what I was thinking. I can get everything needed thru our shop customers except a helm. I'll have to check volume of the cylinders and go from there.
Thanks Guys
Old 01-22-2023, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a hydraulic helm on my 30' Cobalt with power steering pump. My Arnesons had no provisions for cable. For high speed testing I had the rams in parallel, slowing the steering remarkably. I never did bother going back to series plumbing because the extra few turns didn't really bother me. Never missed the steering on the I/O TR's.