New Owner 26' Formula w/496. Upgrade ? >

New Owner 26' Formula w/496. Upgrade ?

Notices

New Owner 26' Formula w/496. Upgrade ?

Old 03-06-2023, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by cheech
Exactly, seems all these guys who want to haul people in an open bow boat and want to go fast in one never intended to.
They overlook the boats you mentioned, and hands down the West coast builders have had those two nailed forever with all their open bow and mid cabin offerings.
Nothing but on Havasu pretty much.
You got that right on the west coast builders. Take for instance the popular boat out here I run, the Nordic heat. Just over 28' long mid cabin open bow that runs mid 60s with a stock 496HO. I pumped mine up and am currently running mid 80s and they handle the power just fine. Several west coast brands make a similar offering. And they do good in the rough too.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 760 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder
You got that right on the west coast builders. Take for instance the popular boat out here I run, the Nordic heat. Just over 28' long mid cabin open bow that runs mid 60s with a stock 496HO. I pumped mine up and am currently running mid 80s and they handle the power just fine. Several west coast brands make a similar offering. And they do good in the rough too.
Howard, Hallett, Lavey Craft, etc.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 116 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaman
I have introduced many, many people to boating over the four-plus decades I've been in the sport, and I always, always tell a person considering a purchase to buy the most power he can get, as it is never enough, lol. So many times I hear something like this, "Man...I love this boat...just wish it was faster...".
You could go drop $20K - $30K into your boat and get the speed you are looking for, and if you love everything else about it and plan on keeping it for a while, that might be the best option for you. Or you could sell it and, as hogie roll, notes...just go buy a faster boat.
I went from a 42mph boat to a 55mph boat and it's still not enough.
Problem is, I really like the boat and am not willing to swap into a faster hull.

I will eventually repower with another 150-200hp but will keep the stock manners and just accept it as it is, regardless of top speed.

Last edited by Dragracer_Art; 03-06-2023 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 02:20 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm a Formula fan but they are not fast boats. They ride pretty well and are very functional though. A 525 in that boat will get it to 60 and that's about it. You could keep the Bravo upper and put a B1 lower on it and likely find a mph but at the expense of getting on plane quickly.

As other stated, ride around at full throttle if you have to but leave it the way it is.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by ragu
Im am pretty much an outboard guy. I recently bought an immaculate 2005 Formula 260 Bowrider. It has a 496 (not an HO) with a Bravo 3 outdrive. Motor has 500 hours from new and the entire boat and motor is immaculate and freshwater only used. Boat runs around 52 MPH+-. As a rule of thumb with outboards, I have always used 12-15HP upgrade per MPH. What are options or changes if I wanted to see 65MPH out of this hull?
How much HP can a Bravo 3 Handle?
Do I supercharge what I have?
Do I find a 525? Can I use existing drive? What do I need to do with exhaust?
A guy from Iowa, Tyler Leyden has (I think) the same boat with same drive. I gave him intake advice for modding his MPI factory intake, I bored out his tb, provided a tune then dynoed and tuned his 540 he built. It made 655 hp and 710 ft lbs of tq, his bravo 3 boat runs mid 60s with that power and high 60s/low 70s when he puts on a bravo 1 fwiw. so to gain 15 mph with a bravo 3 from 52 is gonna be some work, Smitty
Old 03-07-2023, 01:12 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you for all the insight. I also have a 27 Kryptonite Center Console that runs 75 plus all day. I may be selling it. Was looking to see what could be done with the Formula. When/if the Kryp sells I’ll buy a 21 Superboat and speed around with that. I’ll leave the Formula alone and let it do what it was meant to do. Was thinking of trying to get it all with one boat😉
The following users liked this post:
hogie roll (03-08-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 01:20 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
Hard boat to push. We put a Whipple on one. 650hp on my dyno. Still just runs 70
Know you from over at S&F. One of the guys told me to reach out to you regarding Whipple. Would want to have the motor gone through also. This would be a project for after this season. Let’s see what happens with my Kryptonite and if I can find a 21 Super. Would love to have one do it all boat 😉Thanks for reply. Ragu
Old 03-08-2023, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 585 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
I'm a Formula fan but they are not fast boats. They ride pretty well and are very functional though. A 525 in that boat will get it to 60 and that's about it. You could keep the Bravo upper and put a B1 lower on it and likely find a mph but at the expense of getting on plane quickly.

As other stated, ride around at full throttle if you have to but leave it the way it is.
The 370ss and 400ss really impress me for the mild power