Engine stand mounting points >

Engine stand mounting points

Notices

Engine stand mounting points

Old 03-27-2023, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Engine stand mounting points

Going to put my motor on a stand so I can rotate it and pull the pan. Seems most folks mount the stand from the back of the motor. Can the stand be mounted to the front of the motor.? Just looking at the back of this block (mark IV bow tie) the lower two threaded holes aren’t in a very beefy part of the block and they are all 3/8” bolts. In the front of the motor however, I could mount the stand to the cylinder head and a couple of lower holes in the block, both very beefy areas plus these are 7/16” bolts. Hope I’m not overthinking it but better safe than sorry.

​​​​​​​‘’Thanks
Old 03-27-2023, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a fully dressed mk IV 454 on a stand with the rear mount, I wouldnt worry about it as long as you have a quality stand. I used grade 8 bolts and washers, just make sure you have enough in the thread

Old 03-28-2023, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

The back is fine. I have also had a complete aftermarket block/iron head 540 with a blower etc on my stand and its not an issue.

Try to get the center of the engine stand head as close to the camshaft centerline as you can and it will be a lot easier to rotate.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Great advice. Thanks guys.