Aluminum cylinder head question AFR enforcer 335

Notices

Aluminum cylinder head question AFR enforcer 335

Old 04-05-2023, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Aluminum cylinder head question AFR enforcer 335

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/afr-3001

So my machine shop called stating my stock iron heads off my 502 which is in the process of a fresh rebuild are not in the best of shape but could be saved. I said what if we look for a set of aluminum heads without smoking the bank since im already way over budget and we found these AFR enforcer 335cc heads. I called AFR and they started off stating they are a import casting but if im not adding boost and looking to be in the range of 600hp their perfect.

I just ordered them so I can still cancel it through Summit but ARE THEY TOTAL JUNK? I mean $863 ea for an assembled head compared to their Magnum line 325 hed which is $1,705 ea scares me.

Again this boat is not raced or even run hard, it is a simple pump gas lake boat but I also do not want to do this again and im not running any crazy cam in it.

Am i calling back and switching my order to these:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/afr-2101

Thoughts an opinions please.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:11 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Nothing hands on, this is All i know.

The following users liked this post:
articfriends (04-06-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 01:20 PM
Registered

Once I leave work I was going o the Youtube reviews lol
Old 04-05-2023, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

might check to see if they have raised exhaust ports, could cause exhaust alignment issues.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
might check to see if they have raised exhaust ports, could cause exhaust alignment issues.
They do have raised exhaust ports, what does that mean? Im new to the BBC world more versed in LS stuff.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

If they are preassembled from any manufacturer you are going to want to have them went through by your builder. I say this not from experience but due to the fact of reading too many build threads on here to count about them not being set up anywhere near correctly out of the box. FYI.
The following 5 users liked this post by Diamond Dave:
cheech (04-06-2023), Gimme Fuel (04-06-2023), Griff (04-05-2023), Hoodoo 2.0 (04-06-2023), ICDEDPPL (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
If they are preassembled from any manufacturer you are going to want to have them went through by your builder. I say this not from experience but due to the fact of reading too many build threads on here to count about them not being set up anywhere near correctly out of the box. FYI.
There coming from my front door direct to the machine shop to be checked and installed 1,000% I just did research on "raised exhaust ports" if im understanding it correctly it can move the exhaust manifold slightly in one direction which can now through my exhaust out of alignment with my transom tips! Anyone have this issue? Man if its not one thing is SURE IS ANOTHER! and none of it is ever simple!
Old 04-05-2023, 02:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 251 Likes on 126 Posts

To your question on the port height....my heads have raised ports and I had to raise my tips the same height as the port raise...I believe mine were 1/2 or 3/4 inch raised I can't remember but I will say I had to do it due to my exhaust configuration. My tails curve in towards the center of the boat and I wasn't able to get them to line up with the flex in the couplings. Also when you go up they generally move the headers out as well at least mine did because the angle of the exhaust flange is not parallel to the vertical plane of the engine....hope that makes sense lol.

My opinion...not sure what lake you run on but I do know of at least 3 people personally here on lake michigan that only got 3-4 years out of aluminum heads in lake michigan water only. It's not only slat water that is corrosive. If you're building this to not have to be worked on and inspected constantly I would go with a good set of iron heads....dart iron eagles or something...I went iron on mine and had them ported and they flow as good or better than AFR aluminums and I don't have to worry about corrosion. I have enginequest heads which I can't seem to find anymore but there are threads about them on here by "mild thunder" if you search enginequest heads. That's just my opinion and you can easily get to your horsepower goal with iron heads...can probably get a good set of stock merc 500 or 525 efi iron heads and get to your power goal easily and never had to worry about them.
Old 04-05-2023, 02:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
To your question on the port height....my heads have raised ports and I had to raise my tips the same height as the port raise...I believe mine were 1/2 or 3/4 inch raised I can't remember but I will say I had to do it due to my exhaust configuration. My tails curve in towards the center of the boat and I wasn't able to get them to line up with the flex in the couplings. Also when you go up they generally move the headers out as well at least mine did because the angle of the exhaust flange is not parallel to the vertical plane of the engine....hope that makes sense lol.

My opinion...not sure what lake you run on but I do know of at least 3 people personally here on lake michigan that only got 3-4 years out of aluminum heads in lake michigan water only. It's not only slat water that is corrosive. If you're building this to not have to be worked on and inspected constantly I would go with a good set of iron heads....dart iron eagles or something...I went iron on mine and had them ported and they flow as good or better than AFR aluminums and I don't have to worry about corrosion. I have enginequest heads which I can't seem to find anymore but there are threads about them on here by "mild thunder" if you search enginequest heads. That's just my opinion and you can easily get to your horsepower goal with iron heads...can probably get a good set of stock merc 500 or 525 efi iron heads and get to your power goal easily and never had to worry about them.

Yeah Im not dealing with moving tips in the transom im cancelling the order 100% That alone besides the rest of your post made my decision!
The following users liked this post:
BBYSTWY (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

IMO @ 335cc is a big runner for a 502, I ran some afr 305's on a 540 and made good numbers in the 625-630 hp range
The following 4 users liked this post by F-2 Speedy:
Gimme Fuel (04-06-2023), ICDEDPPL (04-05-2023), Knot 4 Me (04-05-2023), Sonic30ss (04-06-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.