velvet drive shift problem >

velvet drive shift problem

Notices

velvet drive shift problem

Old 05-07-2023, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 895 Likes on 322 Posts
Default velvet drive shift problem

have a pair of 72C's that are on new builds. they worked fine when pulled but I notice that one shift lever moves smooth as silk but the other drags when you move it. feels like the shaft is dragging in the case. it is just in bushings or could the neutral switch be binding it up. have yet to pull the switch but wanted to see if any one had an idea before tearing into it.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
have a pair of 72C's that are on new builds. they worked fine when pulled but I notice that one shift lever moves smooth as silk but the other drags when you move it. feels like the shaft is dragging in the case. it is just in bushings or could the neutral switch be binding it up. have yet to pull the switch but wanted to see if any one had an idea before tearing into it.

When you say it feels like it's dragging are you shifting by hand or is it hooked to your shift cable? Is the drag in the cable? There isnt anything to really drag in the shift valve.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:41 PM
Registered

shifting by hand. no cable hooked up yet as they are not in the boat yet. took the lever off and pulled the detent ball to make sure nothing was binding but it feels like the shaft is galled a little. going to pull the neutral switch to see if something about it is the cause but from the diagram I agree there should not be any thing to drag
Old 05-08-2023, 04:38 PM
Registered

to look at the diagram and at the valve it seems that it should just slide out. it feels galled in the bore. got it about 1/4 out but had to put a screw driver against it force it. assuming that this is part of my problem.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:16 PM
Registered

to look at the diagram and at the valve it seems that it should just slide out. it feels galled in the bore. got it about 1/4 out but had to put a screw driver against it force it. assuming that this is part of my problem.

Watch this video its very informative and detailed... might be able to fix your problem.

Old 05-08-2023, 06:36 PM
Registered

watched the video. his came apart real easy but told me for sure that it should just come out. had to force it but it finally came out. there was some scoring on the barrel that was binding it up. took it apart like the video showed and polished and cleaned the inner barrel and the outer of the barrel and what I could inside the bores and now she moves smooth as butter.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:41 PM
Registered

watched the video. his came apart real easy but told me for sure that it should just come out. had to force it but it finally came out. there was some scoring on the barrel that was binding it up. took it apart like the video showed and polished and cleaned the inner barrel and the outer of the barrel and what I could inside the bores and now she moves smooth as butter.

Great to hear!! Glad you got it figured out!!
Old 05-09-2023, 10:57 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Hate to mention this but mostly the only way the regulator & bore get scored is from debris in the transmission.
This sometimes happens after something has broken. How does the fluid smell? Wouldn't hurt to poke a magnet down through the dipstick tube and see if you get anything.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:51 AM
Registered

the were rebuilt about 10 hours ago and the fluid still looks new and had no metal or any thing in it so I wonder if during the rebuild they either missed that or there was still a little something in there that got to it. knowing the operator they may have just ignored that it was stiffer than the other one and ran it like that.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mbam
Hate to mention this but mostly the only way the regulator & bore get scored is from debris in the transmission.
This sometimes happens after something has broken. How does the fluid smell? Wouldn't hurt to poke a magnet down through the dipstick tube and see if you get anything.

Can a remote filter be added? What would you recommend?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.